Route for four days in southern Germany?

Old Sep 4th, 2008, 07:40 AM
LH
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Route for four days in southern Germany?

I am looking for advice on a route for four days in the Munich area this July. We will have come from five days in Paris and then four days in the Berner Oberland area of Switzerland, leaving us four days free before flying home to the US from Munich. I am having trouble coming up with a route....we will be leaving from Interlaken area on Monday morning, then flying home on Friday at noon from Munich. We'd like to see Rothenburg, the Ludwig castles, ride a luge and see Dachau. It will take a large part of the day Monday just to get to the Munich area...trains from Interlaken are about 6 1/2 hours. Any ideas on a route...I don't necessarily need to arrive into Munich (would actually prefer a smaller town like Fussen or Reutte, but they are even longer/more connections). Can anyone help me with planning a route so I can see the castles, overnight in Rothenburg so I can do the night watchman's tour, and do Dachau? Originally I had also wanted to see the Rhine area and Salzburg but we are on frequent flier tickets so had to work with what dates were available.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 07:49 AM

Go to Fussen by train, changing off the main Zurich-Munich mainline

then take a train to Augsburg and onto Rothenburg

then train back to Munich - Dachau is just a short train ride from Munich (+bus from Dachau train station

As most of your train travels is in Bavaria investigate the dirt-cheap Bavarian Pass.

If you are coming from Paris to Berner Oberland by train and then going to Swiss border then by all means investigate the Swiss 4-day consecutive or 3-day Swiss Flexipass - the fare from the French border to Berner Oberland base and then austrian border (you go thru a few miles of Austria) may pay for the pass and then you can use it a lot in the Berner Oberland as well.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 09:23 AM

Have you considered renting a car?

It's about a 4-hour drive to Fuessen with very nice scenery. Actually I'd make it a day-long road trip as there's lots of nice places to stop along the way. But if time is the issue, you can make it in 4 to 4-1/2 hours driving straight through.

It would be about 4-1/2 to 5 hours to Munich. If you got a fairly early start (say 8 AM), you could easily see both Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein castles that same afternoon. Depending on what time your tours were, you might even get a luge ride in.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 02:44 PM
LH
Original Poster

Interesting suggestion...we have no objection to renting a car; I was even thinking it would be easier to have one for getting to the castle area, Rothenberg, etc. My impression, however, was that there is a hefty drop off fee to pick up a car in one country (Switzerland) and return to another (Germany). Does anyone know if this is still true?

Until I find that out, I am working under the assumption that I will rent a car just for the time I am in Germany. A train to Fuessen seems to make a LOT of connections! Same for Rothenberg. Maybe I should take the train to Munich and then rent a car there? Someone I know suggested I take the train to outside of Frankfurt since Frankfurt is a shorter train ride than Munich, and then drive down through Rothenberg, Dachau, the castles and finally Munich to fly home. Not sure how much time that driving would take...does that make sense, or should I just stay right near Munich?
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 02:50 PM
LH
Original Poster

I have been looking at the www.rail.ch website and for example, to get from Interlaken to Fussen by train, it takes 8-9 hours and between 4 and 9 stops, depending on what train you take. Oh and the last "train" is really a bus. Are there other websites I should look at? That is a lot of changes!
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 11:32 PM

> it takes 8-9 hours and between 4 and 9 stops, depending on what train you take.

There afar more stops than 4 to 9. What yo probably mean are changes.

>Oh and the last "train" is really a bus.

As it looks they are repairing or upgrading the track from Marktoberdorf to Füssen. Thatīs why there are buses replacing the trains on this last stretch.

>Are there other websites I should look at?

You can look at any other rail website such as www.bahn.de but it wonīt tell you anything different.

If you want to go from one pretty remote area to another pretty remote area this is the way it is.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 04:52 AM

The only way to be sure what the drop-off charges would be is to check out a rental website. We've had good experiences with www.autoeurope.com and www.gemut.com
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 05:53 AM
LH
Original Poster

Yes, I did mean "changes" when I said "stops".

I am thinking about the option of taking the train to a station in Germany and renting a car there, then driving. Options are to try to get to the Fussen/castle area first, then drive up to Rothenburg area, and then down to Munich for flight home....OR the reverse...get myself to Rothenburg area that first night to spend the night, then drive south to see Dachau and get to the castles, finally again getting to Munich for flight home. WHich of these makes more sense? And where (which German location) would be the most logical (i.e. most direct route) to take the train from Interlaken? I am kind of looking at Augsburg, Stuttgart...do they make sense? Someone else suggested Lindau for the route from Interlaken to the castles?
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 07:59 AM

bookmarking. we're planning a similar trip in Oct. from the US, flying in to zurich then base for 5 nights in munich, 3 nights in salzburg and 2 nights in rothenburg/wurzburg area before flying out of frankfurt.

i called kemwel and autoeurope re: drop off charges to rent and return car in 2 diff countries, the drop off charge is aroung $150.

i might rent a car on day 3 in munich when we are going outside the city. we're planning on driving to innsbruck and oberammergau, dachau, salzburg then up to rothenburg and return the car either in roth or in frankfurt before we catch our flight home. with this, we are picking up and rental in the same country, germancy although we have driven it to austria.

another thing i found out from kemwel is we will be paying the same weekly rate whether we keep the car for 5, 6 or 7 days. i know your planning on being in germ for only about 3-4 days so daily rental might work better for you even if the daily rate is a bit higher.

hope this helps.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 11:31 AM

The bus (SEV=ScheinenErsatzVerkehr) connection to Füssen is set to expire on Sept 14, 2008. LH says he is planning his trip of July of 2009. I hardly think that warning applies.