Reload this Page >

Bavaria itinerary advice

Search

Bavaria itinerary advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 07:51 AM
Olya

Bavaria itinerary advice

Hello,<BR><BR>thank you all for the advice you've given so far; it's been extremely helpful!<BR><BR>We finally figured out our itinerary in more detail and would love to hear what you think about this trip plan (too busy, not busy enough, etc.)<BR><BR>Day 1: Fly into Frankfurt and take a train to Munich.<BR>Day 2: Wonder around Munich and pick up a car.<BR>Day 3: Drive to Rothenburg and stay the night there.<BR>Day 4: Drive around the northern part of the Romantic Road and return to Rothenburg for the night.<BR>Day 5: Drive from Rothenburg to Fussen.<BR>Day 6: Check out Ludwig's castles.<BR>Day 7: Go paragliding or generally hang out in Fussen.<BR>Day 8: Drive back to Frankfurt and stay the night there.<BR>Day 9: Fly out in the early morning.<BR><BR>Thank you so much for your help!<BR>Olya.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 07:56 AM
Edna

Snore!

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 07:56 AM
Russ

Doesn't make sense to me to train all the way to Munich, then backtrack to Rothenburg with a car, then drive south again to Fussen. Why not just train to Rothenburg on the first day, then pick up a car there or in Wurzburg to continue your travels?

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 08:09 AM
bill

Olya,<BR><BR>Edna and Russ are absolutely right.<BR><BR>I only wonder who in these Fodor posts gave you that advice. <BR><BR>Nine days in Germany and that is what everyone came up with. <BR><BR>Don't know who you are travelling with, but I am certainly glad it's not me.<BR><BR>There are just so, so many greater itineraries out there for a 9 day Germany trip.<BR><BR>Any way, to each their own<BR><BR>Bill

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 10:02 AM
xxx

Consider flying in and out of Munich.<BR><BR>If your flights are already decided as you desribe them, consider:<BR><BR>Train from Frankfurt to Rothenburg.<BR>Train from Rothenburg to Munich.<BR>Pick up your car as you leave Munich.<BR>No need for a car in either place.<BR>

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Ben

Hi Olya - I don't think you are trying to do too much. I just think you should reorganize your itinerary to get the most out of the time you do have. If you have to fly into and out of Frankfurt (and unless you have to be in Munich that afternoon) I would also suggest you either pick up your car at the airport (the small extra cost of airport pick-up will offset the frustration of looking for the dealer in a town) or take the train to W&uuml;rzburg for pick-up. Reserving your car prior to arrival will definitely save you money. If you have an early morning arrival at Frankfurt - you should be able to clear customs and passport control - pick-up your vehicle and be in W&uuml;rzburg (if you plan to visit there) by noon. You could then drive the upper portion of the Romantic Road to arrive in Rothenburg o.d.T. by late afternoon. Spend 1st and 2d night in Rothenburg.<BR>Day 3 - Drive Romantic Road to F&uuml;ssen (arrive around early afternoon)<BR>Day 4 - Ludwig's castles (Neuschwanstein - Hohenschwangau - Linderhof)<BR>Day 5 - Go paragliding or generally hang out in F&uuml;ssen<BR>Day 6 - Oberammergau - Wieskirche - Ettal - Garmisch - Zugspitze (whatever)<BR>Day 7 - day trip to Munich (you can drive to Oberau - leave your car - take the train (less than 1½ hrs) in to Munich (spend the afternoon exploring) - train back to Oberau and drive back to F&uuml;ssen that evening. Or drive to Munich and spend the night.<BR>Day 8 - start early and enjoy the day. A good route would be via Ulm and Heidelberg to somewhere near the airport at Frankfurt<BR>Day 9 - Flight out<BR><BR>An itinerary similiar to that would give you max time in the Royal Castles area and there are plenty of things to do and see there to keep you busy (depending on the weather). The main point is to reconsider your route for time's sake. Good luck and have a great trip. Ben (www.bavariaben.com)<BR>