Munich train to Rothenberg

Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich train to Rothenberg

Trying to determine roundtrip cost of train from Munich to Rothenberg. Looks like it takes about 2 1/2 hours each way. Or, does anyone know how long it takes to drive on the "Romantic Road" between the two?
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 08:53 AM

It took us the better part of a week to drive the Romantic Road. It's not that long. You could google it.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 09:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Depends on how fast you want to drive it. The train, as I recall, requires at least one change, at Steinach.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 09:22 AM

My recollection is that the train to Rothenburg starts in Wurzburg and ends in Rothenburg.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 09:58 AM

go www.bahn.de - English page and put in Munich Hbf (main station) and Rothenburg ob der Tauber and a date and you will get all the train sfor that date - if far in future just select a sample date and these trains run pretty much same time all year with some variances on weekends perhaps - but very frequent service and yes as Dukey says you change to a shuttle train at Steinach to the terminus in Rothenburg.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 10:03 AM

http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/#timetable - click on this site as it links you right to the English bahn.de page where you just fill in the boxes - I give this link because on this page under the box Best On Line Timetable (or some similar wording) they give you several valuable tips to use the Wunderbar bahn.de site novice users may not get at first. It also gives you fares. And there is also the Bavarian Pass that up to five folks I think but at least two can travel on for I think 39 euros all told - all over Bavaria including to Rotneberg and also all over Munich itself on buses, S-Bahns, U-bahns, trams - etc. But you must restrict yourself I believe to Regional trains - marked with a R in schedules of the Bavarian pass will not be valid. Check bahn.de also for any possible discounts for booking well in advance but then I believe train-specific with changes hard or impossible to what you have selected in advance. Full fare tickets and the Bavarian Pass can be used on any train with similar fares or pay the fare differential, etc.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 02:17 PM

The Romantic Road is not between Rothenburg and Munich but runs in North-South direction from Würzburg to Füssen. You would be on highways most of the way and cover just a very short stretch of the RR. Anyway, the RR is just another country highway, nothing special about what you see from the car. It is about the places it connects, and to see these you have to park the car and walk.

>And there is also the Bavarian Pass that up to five folks I think but at least two can travel on for I think 39 euros
29 Euros, in fact. Renting a car will cost you a LOT more.

And please learn the difference between the letters U and E. Rothenberg is a different place, a small village in the Odenwald hills, and I am sure you do not want to go there. Both the website of Bahn and any GPS would lead you to the wrong place.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your help! This is a last minute trip for March and I have not had a chance to plan it yet. Just got my travel book and map today.
quokka: RothenbURG....yikes! Thanks!
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 08:07 AM

Bavarian Pass only used on regional trains - typically taking 3 hr 20 minutes each way

vs 2 h 30 min with faster trains Munich to Nurembourg but the cost of those trains are 62 euros each way! So it pays a lot to go slower but still about 7 hours of travel time for a day trip - I would suggest there are just as good or IMO better destinations from Munich much quicker than that. Salzburg, Austria, one of Europe's cutest and most historic towns for starters - 1 h 30 about by faster trains or 2 h 30 by regional trains where the Bavarian Pass is valid, even into Austria.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Salzburg seems the better choice. Is it worth paying more for first class train travel?
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 03:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you are absolutely convinced that Salzburg is your better destination AND you want to save as much money as possible then I would agree with taking a slower regional train from Munich and that for the period of time you are On the train that 2nd Class will be fine.

What's the big difference from First? The cars for each class are the same size. The number of seats in each space is what varies: there will be fewer seats in First in the same amount of space taken up by more seats in 2nd Class. There used to be some differences in the padding levels of the seats between the two classes but that difference was usually minimal. 2nd will almost undoubtedly have more people traveling in it than 1st...because it's cheaper.

Please do not get suckered into that old notion that you'll "meet more locals in 2nd as opposed to 1st. Yeah, you may see more people (remember, you are all STRANGERS in that car so don't expect some sort of Kumbaya family reunion number) but the "locals" travel in BOTH classes; the ones in 1st simply spent more money.