Rothenburg

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Joanne

Rothenburg

Does anyone know if you can take either a train or a bus from Munich to Rothenburg? Also, I hear another option is to take the Romantic Road bus tour which goes from Munich ,stops in Rothenburg and goes up to Frankfurt. Is is better to take this tour and just stay in Rothenburg and catch the bus the next day? What would be the cheapest option. Thanks.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Paige

You can easily take a train from Munich to Rothenburg and it can be really cheap if that's what you want. I don't have a clue what the bus tour costs.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 07:55 AM
z

Bus or train will get you there. The tours can be crowded and you are at their will when to go ,etc... I would reccommend taking a train, and seeing the town at your leisure and then you do not have to stop at every town on the Romantic rd.
It seems the train might be cheaper because it is not a "tour"

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Russ

It's quite a long trek to Rothenburg from Munich. The RR bus is a stinker. It is ploddingly slow and when it stops, it is often for only 15 minutes. Why even stop?

Cheapest and most enjoyable way is by train. On weekdays, it'll cost you 21 Euros for a group of up to 5 people - ask for a "Bayern Ticket" daypass, good on the regional trains after 9 am. You could leave Munich at 9:07 and arrive in Rothenburg at 12:51 with 3 changes of train. Returning the same day, you could leave at 18:06 and be back in Munich at 21:29.

A more relaxed schedule would probably involve an overnight stay - perhaps the best way - so double the price since you'll need two daypasses and the whole trip will still set you back only 42 Euros.

If you travel on Sat or Sun, ask for the "Schönes Wochenende" daypass and pay 28 Euros per day instead of 21 (no hours restrictions on the S-W ticket.)

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 08:48 AM
greg

Why don't you look up yourself. The bus schedule is here:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/euraide/romantic.htm

And the train schedule can be obtained by going to:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?newrequest=yes&protocol=http

You have to change a train at least once at Steinach, a small station with just few platforms. If you do not choose the train wisely, you end up having to change the train 2 or 3 times.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Joanne

Thanks for the advice. Will a Eurailpass cover the train fare?

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Joanne

In response to Greg-what is the name of the main train station in Rothenburg? I went to the website you gave me and they list several options.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 10:02 AM
greg

Yeah, you have to use the complete name in this case since there are more than Rothenburgs:

Rothenburg ob der Tauber Bahnhof

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Liz

Yes, you can use your railpass.

Old May 7th, 2002, 11:43 PM
Diane

The Railpasses give you a 60% discount on the Romantic Road bus, only $29. I don't believe it uses a day of the pass either.