Roundabout at the Arc de Triomphe

Jul 23rd, 2001, 05:17 AM
Joan

Roundabout at the Arc de Triomphe

I have been trying to think of the term for the actual roundabout at the Arc de Triomphe. I know that the Arc is at the Place de Charles De Gaulle but I thought there was a slang word for the huge rotary that surrounds the Arc?? Can anyone help?

Jul 23rd, 2001, 05:24 AM
driver

CHAOS

Jul 23rd, 2001, 05:26 AM
Phil

Joan:

Before Charles de Gaulle died in 1970, the roundabout was called "place de l'étoile". It still is frequently referred to as "l'étoile".

Maybe this is the term you are looking for; I wouldn't call it "slang", however.

Hope this helps

Phil.

Jul 23rd, 2001, 07:33 AM
Fred

It's kind of a long name. It's known as the "Please God, let me get out of this alive and in one piece and I'll be your best friend" circle. For more Paris information e-mail me – [email protected]

Jul 23rd, 2001, 07:57 AM
Joan

Thanks everyone for your replies but that's still not it.

I can remember vividly driving into Paris (Lord, what was I thinking?) and the exit we took to get off the pheriphique headed us straight towards the Arc. I shouted to my husband, "whatever you do find me a right hand turn that I can take before we get to the........ (and I think can't of what I called it). It's very frustrating.

This all came up because we're going to Paris again this October and we're debating on whether to drive in with our rental car or whether we should leave it outside the city and take a train. I swore I'd never drive in that city again (and I'm from Boston so I'm not timid!) but like childbirth I guess the pain does fade over time!

Thanks everyone!!

Jul 23rd, 2001, 08:49 AM
Art

Joan, if you drive in Boston, you can drive ANYWHERE!!
Art

Jul 23rd, 2001, 09:15 AM
Ursula

Joan:
The correct name is still Charles de Gaulle-Etoile (métro station). Parisians call it just "Etoile" and everybody knows what you are taking about. It looks like a "star" (étoile)on you map.

PS: Joan, I made my driving licence in Paris and thought it was much fun driving over the Etoile. Incidentally, it was on my way to work. Really, I loved it. Just smile and make sure you are not "pushed" into the the inner circles. C'est tout. The first time I was on my own in the car, it was a bit scary, I fully agree.

Jul 23rd, 2001, 09:17 AM
Joan

Not true Art...I KNOW where I'm going in Boston! It makes a huge difference when you know where you going and you don't have a language barrier to contend with. Also, Boston is MUCH smaller in scale than Paris is!

Pleeeeeezeeeeeee someone's just got to know what this silly roundabout is called!!!

Jul 23rd, 2001, 09:45 AM
Art

Joan, I drove a cab in Boston nights when I was in school there and a 5 ton coca cola truck in the North End in the summers. I've never had a problem driving in Paris, Rome or anywhere else. The closest I've found to Boston was Mexico City. Sorry, I don't remember what it is called other than "Etoile".
Art

Jul 23rd, 2001, 05:09 PM
Joel

I lived there and it was only called l'etoile. If you seriously intend to drive into it, I hope you know French driving regs for a giratoire (the actual name for what you call a "roundabout". There is a way to navigate one of these and it is strictly regulated.

Jul 23rd, 2001, 10:31 PM
xx

Possibly "rondpoint" ?

The driving regulations for l'Etoile are not the same as ordinary roundabouts. You must give way (though it's hard to tell!) to traffic joining from the right. Other roundabouts have the sign "Vous n'avez pas la prorité" before you join, and you must give way to the left.

Jul 24th, 2001, 04:35 PM
Joel

To xx:
Glad you pointed that out. Despite having a French driver's license, (or maybe because of it) I do not EVER drive in Paris, so I was unaware of the reversal of the normal "priorite" rules. Makes sense though, in the case of THAT giratoire.

Jul 24th, 2001, 05:19 PM
Joan

Thanks for the driving instructions. Should we do brave our way through this horror show we'll need instructions!