Reload this Page >

Backpack/Purse/Money Belt???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 07:09 AM
Karyn

I will be traveling in Europe (France and Germany) and I am unsure of what type of bag I need to carry my things in while I am sightseeing. I will be carrying my camera, travel book, rain coat?, and wallet. Should I carry a backpack, purse, or money belt? Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 07:15 AM
money

Given what you've listed as essentials, it doesn't appear that a money belt will work, unless you want to look pregnant. <BR> <BR>Backpacks can be risky because they're easy prey in a crowd. I'd suggest some kind of shoulder bag that can be tucked under your arm.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 08:31 AM
Mary

I keep that which I can't lose in my money belt; the plane ticket, passport extra M/C etc. I use a back pack when I need to carry the camera and a guide book.FInally, I have a small purse to wear at night when I don't want to heave the back pack around. What I always have on my back pack are 2 small combo luggage locks around the zippers.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 08:45 AM
Beth

I used a money belt for important stuff (passport, credit cards, larger bills, traveller's checks) but for guidebooks, maps, and a day's worth of cash, I used a bag made by Eagle Creek called the "Wanderer." It is not a shoulder bag; rather, it is meant to be worn across the body -- which made me feel more comfortable than a regular shoulder bag and was easier to carry (for me) than a day-size backpack. I also could carry it at the same time as the backpack that I was using for my clothes, etc., on the trips between countries. I'm sure this kind of bag is made by other manufacturers as well -- I think LL Bean has one.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 09:07 AM
Bob

Wear the money belt in the back and you will not look pregnant.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 11:54 AM
anne

I purchased a wonderful purse/belt for my europe trip.I bought it at Brookstone,it was about $30.oo all leather. <BR>It had a strap for around the shoulder,and it had a loop in the back to go through my belt - hence if someone cut the purse string it would be connected to my belt. I loved it! <BR>My$,passport,and some thin papers fit in.I wouldn't carry anything else. <BR>My camera went around my shouder, read the travel book at your hotel before you start off. <BR>have fun!

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 12:41 PM
pam

Money belt for critical items; shoulder bag worn across body for less critical items; also sew extra pockets into your raincoat lining. I got an Eagle Creek black money belt, cut off the straps, and sewed it onto the (zip-out-able) lining of my rain coat. Voila, I have two more zippered pockets, secure if my coat is closed, and only carried a small shoulder bag, if any.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 12:51 PM
Thyra

I use a money pouch for passport and extra credit card, my husband prefers a shoulder holster style money poucy that is more comfortable. <BR>I usually bring a purse with a zipper and wear it diagonally across my body.. in it I keep about a days worth of cash, make up journal and save room for small purchases. <BR>Question for Beth... how much was your Wanderer??? I love eagle creek and am currently looking for another thing to take the place of my usual purse. <BR>

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 12:52 PM
Thyra

OOOPS hectic day, money pouch.. not poucy.. and make up, journal, ... <BR>not a make-up journal... I am not quite THAT vain!!lol

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 04:10 PM
Donna

Leave your wallet home. Carry your credit cards, cash, passport, securely in some sort of under your clothing pouch. Carry the rest of your "stuff" in anything you like. It's best not to carry your camera in a camera bag. And, don't ever set the camera down - keep it around your neck, or in your tote or whatever.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 04:34 PM
Liz

I carry a small daypack which has camera, maps, umbrella, comb, water, utensils for a picnic, etc. Then I also carry a small over- the- shoulder purse that has wallet, maps, pen, and eyeglasses. <BR> <BR>Liz

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 04:41 PM
Joel

Would you be asking this question if you were going to New York or Atlanta. If so, fine. <BR>If you are asking this because you're going to Europe, please understand that during the years I lived there I never feared walking the streets at night downtown, there was very little crime in the city in which we lived, and the one time there was a murder, the culprit hung himself in shame.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 04:50 PM
Thyra

With all due respect to Joel and Europeans in general.. (yes, I know the USA is much more dangerous in many respects) <BR> <BR>.. first of all I do carry a money pouch with me in NY city... but keep in mind, that if I was robbed in NYC I would have a great many more resources available to me, to set the situation to rights. <BR>I would be in a country where the primary language is my own. <BR>I would be within an easy phone call of several friends or relations who could come to my aid or send money. <BR>I would be a citizen in my home down, understanding of the proceedures and the red tape that one has to go through in a case like this, particularly getting a passport re-issued. <BR>If I am in, say Greece and I loose mine, what do I do? If I am in Arizona, I can wait until I get home to have a new driver's license re-issued, I am very familiar with the system and the steps I need to take, I can get back to my home base without my driver's license. <BR>Credit card 800 numbers don't work overseas.. who do I call? <BR>and Finally.. I am, presumably on a dream vacation, the last thing I want is to loose all my money, passport or credit cards... (another good reason for a money pouch, I know someone who accidentally left her purse on a bus in Prague) do I want to ruin the rest of my time on holiday...(of which most American's only get 2 weeks per year) waiting in the American Embassy with no money, and no credit trying to get my passport situation ironed out so that I can get back home? <BR>I don't know about everyone else, but my 2 weeks are too precious for that.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 05:34 PM
monica&marilia

we'd just like to say that everything we believed and heard about 'yanks'...no - make that 'seppo's' here in australia is true, they all have too much to say and seem to think that USA is the best country in the world (and some xeno's think its the only country in the world), its OH SO convenient when your a yank and you lose your stuff in the back of ALABAMA wherever that is, but what if you're an aussie like us hey? I think I would rather be broke on a greek island that out the back of rednecksville-louisanna... oh - and by the way, aussies get on average about 4-6 weeks holiday a year, I think I know where I'd rather be living...