Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lisbon Hotel Advice: stay downtown or on Avenida Liberdade?

Jun 3rd, 2001, 02:48 PM
Marlena

Hello:

I am trying to decide between two hotels: Jorge V or the Lisboa Tejo. The Tejo is downtown in Baixa, the Jorge V is a bit north right off the Liberdade Ave. Does anyone have advice on the merits of staying downtown vs. further north? Is downtown really much more convenient?

Any advice is appreciated!

Marlena

Jun 3rd, 2001, 06:04 PM
SharonM

Since I lived in Lisbon, I didn't really stay in hotels, so can't tell you about those two particular hotels, but I personally, would rather be in the Baixa, Chiado, Alfama areas...especially if you won't be there very long. If you'll be there awhile there are some very wonderful historical pensiones but they are not really "walking distance" to many things. Certain areas, like the Alfama, are really neat but you have to be willing/able to walk steep, winding (wonderful) cobblestones...

I just love being in the middle of things...even if I have to put up with a little extra noise...

Jun 7th, 2001, 06:01 PM
Steve

We're just back from a trip to Lisbon, stayed in the Baixa at Hotel Avenida Palace, next door the the Rossio train station, it was a great central location for walking all over the city or taking trams.It's pricier than the Jorge V, but not a bad value,

Jun 8th, 2001, 04:24 AM
j

Hotel Avenida Palace is one of the classics of Lisbon. In the very begining of 20th century, Mr Marconi stayed there during negotiations with the Portuguese Government to supply and deploy a network of shortwave radio, which he succeded. Although of Italian citizenship, we has by that time based in London as chairman of Marconi's Wireless Telephone and Telegraph Company (MWTTC).

So, Steve, may be you stayed in the same room once occupied by Mr Marconi.

Jul 24th, 2001, 05:56 PM
gab

I went to Lisbon last year and stayed in the Hotel Lisboa Plaza. However, on my last night in Portugal I stayed in Sintra and regretted that we didn't stay there in the beginning of the trip instead of Lisbon. Sintra is SO lovely, and it's a just a short train ride to Lisbon. Plus there were as many sites worth seeing in Sintra as there were in Lisbon. If I had to do it all over again, Sintra would be my place of choice in the region.

Jul 24th, 2001, 06:01 PM
Marlena

Well, we're back, and I can now answer my own question (in case anyone else is interested). We stayed most of the time in the Baixa (Lisboa Tejo Hotel) and the last night at the north end of the Avenida (Hotel Eduardo VII). The Baixa was WAAAY better. In fact, I disliked the Eduardo very much. The neighborhood is just not as lively or convenient.

Marlena