Reload this Page >

Treviso or Padua from Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 01:55 PM
Liv Whiting

In September we are going to take side trips to Verona from Venice and to Siena from Florence. While in Venice we may also have time to travel by train 25 miles north to Treviso or 30 miles west to Padua. From information I've read Treviso has a distinctive character that may be different from the old cities of Padua, Siena and Verona. Any comments about taking a 1/2 day in either Treviso or Padua.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 03:57 PM
Bob

Either city would be a good choice. Padova has a large university and many students reside there. There are a number of churches there which are definitely worth seeing including Sant'Antonio and Basilica del Santo. Treviso also has nice churches and museums, and seems a bit newer (half the city was bombed during WWII) and more affluent than Padova although there are no shortage of old sights to see. If I had to pick, I'd go with Padova. But my cousin, who has lived in Padova for the last 8 years, prefers Treviso. Either way you can't go wrong. Don't expect to see many Americans in either city.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 04:39 PM
Rex

Why not relocate to either one of the two cities of your choice? I have trouble understanding "day-tripping" FROm Venice (don't recommend day-tripping TO there either). Loging costs in Venice are so high, it doesn't make sense to let it be your bedroom for some cheaper place. And the time it takes you to get in and out of the city (unless you are staying in Mestre - - and surely you wouldn't!) is probably more than the time it takes to re-pack and unpack. <BR> <BR>Just food for thought. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 06:34 PM
Surlok

Sure, Rex? I don't agree. Firstly, you don't know how much Liv is paying for the room in Venice, secondlly, she might well not like to pack and unpack and stay in Treviso or any other town for only one night. <BR> <BR>I've done this, Liv, a side trip from Venice to Treviso, and visited also Asolo and Bassano di Grappa, which is a lovely town, in this same day trip. I could make it because a friend of ours had a car and picked us up in Treviso. From there we drove to Asolo and Bassano. I'm not sure you could do it by train, but if you can, they are also worth of being visited. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 06:45 PM
jane

I just returned from Venice and took a boat trip down the Brenta Canal to Padua. It's very relaxing and includes stops at several Palladian villas enroute. There are several companies that provide these all day tours , but we took the one most recommended, il Barchiello. You can leave by boat from San Marco and return by train from Padua or do it in reverse. We thought the lunch option might not be worth it, but it was at a seafood restaurant with a lovely setting on the banks of the Brenta Canal.