Rouen or Strasbourg

Search

Rouen or Strasbourg

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rouen or Strasbourg

we will be in France in mid March and were wondering which of these 2 cities would make a good base for our travels (after a couple days in Paris and the Loire valley). we will not have access to a car, but will rely on trains, buses and/or tours. also we would like to hear of the experiences of people who have visited these cities.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 02:55 PM

I've been to both and either could be a base, depending on what you want to see, that's all. It might also depend on where you are going after that.

I'd probably choose Strasbourg as it's a lot different in culture (the Alsace thing) and there are several very nice day trips from there by train -- Nancy (my favorite), Colmar and Mulhouse. You could probably go to some Swiss towns, also, fairly easily if you wanted.

I think Rouen is an interesting day trip from Paris, but not as interesting in itself for a long time. I suppose you could do the WWII Normandy visiting from up there, although that's not the best point for it. YOu can easily take a day trip to Giverny from there, but you could from Paris, anyway.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 02:56 PM

I have been to both cities, but know Strasbourg and Alsace much better than I do Rouen. Each has their attractions--their cathedrals are the glory of Gothic architecture, and there is much of historical and artistic interest in each city.

Beyond Strasbourg, Alsace has much to offer--Colmar, the route du vin, and the Vosges. From Rouen, you can visit Giverny, Caen, Bayeux, Honfleur, Mont St. Michel and the landing beaches, although the coast could still be quite cold at that time of year.

Much depends upon how long you have, and how much you want to travel outside the cities. Bus, rail and conducted tours should be easy to arrange at either place.

You will dine well in either place, but I think that Strasbourg has the edge here, and the cultural heritage of Alsace is somewhat different from that of the rest of France.

For myself, I would probably choose Rouen, as I don't know it as well as I do Strasbourg. For a first time visitor, especially at that time of year, I would recommend Strasbourg.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 06:12 PM

Previous posts have given good suggestions, but about traveling by public transport, Strasbourg has better bus/train networks than Rouen.

It really depends on how much time you have, if for 3-4 daytrips,it shouldn't be an issue.

For the cities, I prefer Rouen much better,IMHo,the old town/architecture more interesting.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 06:20 PM

Both are absolutely fascinating and worth several days. I know them both well - what, exactly, do you need to know about them? They are very different.

My preference would be Rouen, but it's based on personal likes and dislikes. Without knowing why you chose these two places, it's almost impossible to guess which one would be better suited to you.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 07:18 PM

I would echo St Cirq's comments - they're both fabulous, it really depends on your personal tastes. Rouen is an awesome time capsule of Gothic architecture. Strasbourg and the Alsace are France with a German twist, great wine and cutesy villages. Personally, I can't imagine doing the Alsace without a car. We found Rouen to be one of the best walking cities in Europe. BTW, it will be cold in March, bring your thermal underwear.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 08:22 PM

I've only been to Rouen and thought it was very easy to take a train from Paris to Rouen. I also agree that it is very walkable and I really enjoyed it. My guess is you can't go wrong with either place. Enjoy your trip.
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 08:27 PM

This is one of those situations where you could throw a dart at the map and choose. They are both very nice cities, have lots of local interest, have much of interest in the surrounding areas and figure importantly in French history.

Rouen, to me, seems a bit more "French" while Strasbourg gives you the German side of the French personality. The food is much more Germanic. They are both great walking towns. Rouen is close to the D-day beaches and French/English history sites. Strasbourg is great for cute wine villages, the EU buildings and French/German history sites.

We've never been to either without a car so can't speak to that issue. We do park at Etoile and take the trolley in Strasbourg and they do have good public transportation.

You might consider staying in Paris and taking a couple day trips to perhaps Giverny, Rouen and the D-day beaches if those interest you. Then you could go to Strasbourg, perhaps rent a car for a few days and visit the wine villages, Colmar, Mulhouse and the general area. Driving in the Strasbourg area is not a problem.

Whichever you choose, you will have a good time. Good luck.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to all who have replied so far. Our reason for picking those 2 cities is b/c at they both sound interesting and b/c neither is too long of a trip back to Paris (for our return flight). If it were a more hospitable time of year for weather, we probably would have chosen differently. But our thinking was that an interesting city would be a good base for exploring, b/c there are indoor things to do if the weather is really cold. Right now all of your helpful info is making me lean toward Strasbourg.
Old Feb 21st, 2004, 05:41 PM

I much prefer Strasbourg; perhaps it's because I have spent more time there, and when I was in Rouen, I was alone on a gloomy day in early March.
I thought the site of Jeanne d'Arc's burning was spoiled by the modern building commemorating it. The cathedrale there is spectacular, though.

And the Germanic influence in Strasbourg makes it especially interesting because it is so different from other parts of France.

Just my two cents' worth!
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 07:37 AM

HI socialworker, I am in the same boat. I'm coming from Michigan to Paris in mid-march [honeymoon] and was thinking of a day trip to Rouen too.

We are staying in Paris for 10 days and will use that as our base. Where are you coming from?
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

HI--hope you have a lovely honeymoon. We are from Massachusetts. We have decided to go to Srasbourg instead of Rouen. Unlike your plans, we will be in Paris for only a few days and then plan to stay for 4 nights in another city. In looking over train schedules, it looks like a day trip to Rouen from Paris would be quite easy to do. The descriptions of Rouen's architecture intrigue us, but for a 4 night stay, Strasbourg seems to offer more possibilities for nearby excursions.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:42 PM

If you're interested in chocolate, I read about a new museum called "Les Secrets du Chocolat" just south of Strasbourg.

The museum, which opened last September, gives a history of cocoa, and outlines the process of turning cocoa into chocolate. The visit ends with a chocolate making demonstration, including tasting, by a professional artisanal chocolatier (chocolate maker). There's also a tea room on site, so you can buy goodies to take home.

Le Musee Les Secrets du Chocolat
rue du Pont-de-Péage
67118 Geispolsheim (10 minutes south of the center of Strasbourg)
Open Tuesday - Saturday 9 - 7 ( I also saw 9-4 listed elsewhere, so I'd call to be sure) Sunday 2 - 7
Price: Adults 8 €, 16 and under 5 €, free for children under 5
Information: 03.88.55.04.90.

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 08:34 AM

socialworker,

enjoy your trip as well. Lets hope we get some unseasonably warm weather. 50 sounds like a dream right now.