Rouen-Dijon?

Old Jul 3rd, 1999, 05:34 AM
Stan Lepelstat

Rouen-Dijon?

While in France,I have the opportunity to visit either Rouen or Dijon.Which would you pick?

Old Jul 3rd, 1999, 09:04 AM
Monica

Hi Stan, I went to Dijon in May and enjoyed it. Even bought a beautiful tapestry. I belive there is more to see in Rouen, the one place we missed going to (and plan to go the next trip to France).

Old Jul 4th, 1999, 02:52 AM
topper

!

Old Jul 5th, 1999, 01:17 AM
Vincent

I might be a little biased, since I grew up in Dijon, but, also knowing Rouen, I would say Dijon is as pretty and "rich", but more doable for a tourist than Rouen. And it'll take you the opportunity to take the TGV. From Dijon station, you can walk through the medieval and XVIIIth Century old town. Everything is more compact and unspoilt (whereas Rouen is a larger city, in a middle of an industrialized area).

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 07:46 AM
mwg

I remember Rouen as being very scenic. A very nice and impressive cathedral and much Norman architecture, similar to what Americans call Tudor. Have never been to Dijon.

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 10:20 AM
KT

This will help you a lot: I'd say "either." (Flip a coin?) Dijon has impressive monumental architecture as well as smaller, picturesque buildings, a nice atmosphere, and a very good fine arts museum. Rouen, though a large city, has an interesting, walkable, largely restored historical center with half-timbered buildings, and some excellent churches. (I actually preferred St. Ouen to the cathedral). I enjoyed them both. I think of Dijon as grander and more dignified, and Rouen as maybe more purposely picturesque, but that's just my take.

BTW, in Rouen I took a good, inexpensive walking tour (in French) given by the tourist office, with a knowledgeable and enthusiastic guide, who gave historical and architectural details that I hadn't seen in guidebooks. I know other French cities do similarly good walking tours -- I didn't look for one in Dijon, but would imagine they have them, too.

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 05:45 PM
topper

!

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 03:21 AM
topper

!