Rothenburg hotel choices

Search

Rothenburg hotel choices

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2003, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rothenburg hotel choices

I'm looking for a single room in the center of Rothenburg. It's only for one night, my first after arriving through Frankfurt.<BR><BR>I've received decent rate quotes from Gasthof Butz both and Gathof goldener Greifen (with Butz about 6 euro less). Can anyone recommend either of these places? While they both say there is parking nearby (public or back lot), I'm particularly concerned that I won't be able to leave the city center after mid-morning on Sunday. Don't they close the streets for pedestrians?<BR><BR>Thanks!
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 09:08 AM

Why the center? My wife and I stayed at the Bayerisher Hof (info @ bayerischerhof)which is a short, nice walk to the town and which has a nice parking lot behind the hotel. Check it out.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 09:23 AM

I rented a nice single room at the Kloster Stuble just off the main square for a reasonable price. There was street parking in front of the hotel. Good restaurant as well.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Peep

We've stayed at the Klosterstuble a few times and liked it. <BR><BR>Isn't the Bayrischerhof in Munich??

Old Mar 14th, 2003, 01:02 PM

The REICHS KUCHENMEISTER or MARKUSTURM are both great places to stay and very well located. Both have parking available. I have been to Rothenburg numerous times and never had problems driving out of the town. They close some gates, but you can always leave.<BR><BR>We stayed at the GRIEFFEN a few years ago if it is the one you are talking about. It too is located well, across from the Rathaus and town square, and rooms were fine.<BR><BR>Try to stay in the town if you can. One night is not enough, especially with the jet lag, but enjoy what you can.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 02:12 PM
MGB

We stayed at the Griefen in 1997, quaint, no updates, next to the McDonalds, nice staff and parking in the back, get directions how to get to the parking it is not straight forward. Last time we stayed in a 600 year old pub over the restaurant (Altfrankishe Weinstube am Klosterhof), they have only 6 rooms, park on the street no problem a little farther from the town square but easy walking distance. Great food nice staff. This time the Pub is already full for Sept, so we are staying at the Gastof Klosterstuebel
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 04:36 PM

We stayed at the Butz in 1999. Great location...reasonable price...decent room. Being a budget-concious traveler, I found the Gasthof Butz a very good deal. It's only steps from the main square and serves a nice breakfast. If you wish to have more than 2 in the room, they have a nice big room on the third floor. The only catch is that there's no elevator.
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 06:48 PM

we have stayed a couple of times at the simple but clean and comfortable gasthof Klingentor, jsut outside the city wall...it has a small place to park next to it so that should help with your potential sunday problem....they are very friendly and the inexpensive restaurant is excellent...we intend to return there this fall for a few days...see fodors guidebook
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 11:34 AM

We stayed at Der Schwarzes Lamm in Detwang (short walk from Rothenburg). We had planned to stay right in town, but there was a festival that weekend and it wasn't possible to drive into Rothenburg. This ended up being a great choice for us. Detwang is a nice, quiet village and it's only about a 10 minute walk to Rothenburg.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 03:15 PM
sjk

Stayed at Gasthof Greifen and really enjoyed our stay. The staff is pretty great, and the location is excellent for staying in the town. It's about a 10-minute walk to the hotel from the train station, though.
Old Mar 16th, 2003, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

thanks for everyone's input. I booked at Greifen. Brigitte was very friendly and helpful via email, parking is right there, and there shouldn't be problems leaving town on Sunday.<BR><BR>Now I need to figure out where I'm going from there. Making my way down the Romantic Road, and will probably spend the day driving and looking around, but stop for the night near the end (Garmisch, Fussen, etc.) to go see Ludwig's castles the following day. Any recommendations near that end of the road? Again, just looking for a nice, clean single room w/ bath &amp; good location.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 02:50 AM

Last June for Ludwig's castles, we stayed in the village of Hohenschwangau within walking distance of the info/ticket center. Pension Albrecht. It was 32 euros per person--breakfast and parking included. Modern private bath. Had a wonderful relaxing meal at Alpenhotel Meier on the outskirts of Hohenschwangau on the road to Schwangau--about a 5 minute drive from the Pension. Hubby is the chef, wife the waitress.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 03:44 PM

By the way, the village of Hohenschwangau is very small and has no nightlife to speak of. Not that either Fussen or Schwangau is the Las Vegas of southern Bavaria, but if you need some evening activity beyond dinner and quaffing a few beers, then Hohenschwangau might not be your cup of tea (or other beverage of your choice). It, however, only a few minutes drive to the other two towns.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 04:24 AM

Don't worry about the streets being closed in Rothenburg. I had the same concern, but they allow for people staying in town. They try to keep out the &quot;tourists&quot; jut coming in for the day. That's why Gasthof Butz was so great: It faces a big municipal parking lot behind the buildings that face the Rathaus Square. It's easy to get in and out by way of a rather major street.<BR><BR>The following information regarding the Romantic Road was hoisted from a reply made by the &quot;Bavarian Expert&quot; of Fodors, Wes Fowler. The family with kids that he refers to was mine and I'll second the high praise for the Cafe Schonach-Hof. The family running the place were among the nicest people I've met in over 20 trips to Germany. Hohenfurch is an ideal location for day trips to the spots you propose:<BR><BR>Author: wes fowler<BR>Date: 07/21/2002, 11:39 am<BR>Message: Lawrence,<BR><BR>First, if you'll be driving, let me recommend the Michelin Tourist and Motoring Atlas for Germany, Benelux, Austria, Switzerland and Czech Republic (ISBN 2-06-100020-7). It's an excellent atlas, extensively detailed. The maps for Germany are at a scale of 1cm=3km, for Austria 1cm=4km. <BR>The Bavarian area southwest of Munich is known both as the Allgau and more familiarly as &quot;Pfaffenwinkel&quot; which roughly translates as &quot;Priests Corner&quot; due to the number of magnificent Baroque monasteries and parish churches.<BR>If you'd like to see what type of scenery you'll encounter, take a look at:<BR>www.romanticroad.com/pfafsigh.htm<BR><BR>If you go to the following website, www.romanticroad.com/pfafroom.htm<BR>scroll down to the first hotel shown, the Landgasthof u. Cafe Schonach-Hof. I recommend it highly. You'll find favorable comments from two visitors to whom I recommended it (one group with children) in the itineraries I can provide to you. <BR><BR>Take a look at the following, as well. Scroll down to &quot;Panoramabild&quot;, click and then scroll about the photo.<BR>www.allgaeu-schwaben.com/sneuschwanstein.html<BR>Go also to: www.allgaeu-schwaben.com/view.html You see these wherever you travel in Upper Bavaria. They dominate the southern horizon. You'll also drive across or through them if you choose to visit Austria. <BR><BR>Before dwelling on itineraries, let's talk a little about Bavarian accommodations. Almost every Bavarian village has one or more gasthausen. These are small inns, usually with 20 to 30 rooms at most and almost always family owned and operated. Any I've stayed in have been immaculately clean with good-sized rooms and private bath and an in house restaurant invariably featuring excellent regional cuisine at moderate prices. A number also have beer gardens, as well. All will include breakfast in their room costs. Breakfasts usually consist of cereals, yogurt, meats, cheeses, eggs, breads, fruit and coffee. Rates for these inns range between $55.00US and $70.00 per room, approximately 56 to 70 Euro. Since many of them cater to German skiers in winter months, you'll find rooms that can accommodate three or four people. Many also have kitchenettes as well. The little inn in Hohenfurch to which I refer in the Bavarian itineraries has such rooms. (Ask for the Pfaffenwinkel room.) The room had a refrigerator, two burner stove, sink, table and chairs and was indeed spacious<BR>To get an idea of the amenities of a typical gasthaus, check the following websites: <BR>www.steingaden.de/gasthof_ilgen.htm<BR>www.steingaden.de/gasthof_lindenhof.htm<BR>