Rothenburg

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 10:58 AM
Questions

Rothenburg

I've got an upcoming trip to Germany & Austria coming up. I've heard a lot about this little town - mostly through Rick Steves guidebooks and website. What's the general opinion here? Does this place live up to the hype?

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Serena

I was there a number of years ago and it is one of my favorite spots. We enjoyed it so much that we took my parents there a couple of years later. The entire area called the "Romatic Road" of Germany is beautiful. We stayed at a little Inn there that was very nice. I think you will enjoy it.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Liz

Like other small, popular places (Brugge, Belgium is another), Rothenburg is wonderful, AFTER the day-trippers leave for the day. Stay in town, and from about 4pm till 9am it's well worth a visit.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 11:12 AM
curt

Sure does. Stay overnight miss the crowds or better yet go in off season like November to really miss them. I suggest for a wonderful hotel usen the Eisenhut right in center of town. Superb hotel, great rooms, not cheap but worth every Euro.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 11:32 AM
Shanna

Take a walk around the old walls in early morning or late afternoon. It's wonderful.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Judi

And don't miss the Night Watchman's tour. We were there several years ago and the thought of this tour still makes me grin.

We loved the Hotel Garni Hornburg just outside the wall:
http://www.hotelhornburg.rothenburg.de/

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Questions

Thank you for all the responses. I appreciate the input, and I'm looking forward to spending the night here. Judi the Hotel-Garni you recommended looks good on the website. Curt, I'm still hoping to miss the crowds by being there in October... we'll see.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Christine

Traveler,

My husband and I were in Germany almost 4 years ago. We stayed in Rothenburg while driving down the Romantic Road and into Bavaria. We really enjoyed this little town. It is one of the last walled cities left in Germany, if not the only one left. We enjoyed walking along the top of the wall, around the perimeter of town and shopping the town's shops. The people of the town were very friendly. I don't think I'd spend more than a day there or a late afternoon and overnight, but I thought it was definitely worth the stop.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 01:25 PM
cd

Loved Rothenburg! We stayed inside the walls in a B&B, walked the town, had a great dinner with wine and still have the wine bottle! It had our name on it, could not let that go! It was a busy but romantic place.

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Pam

I have been to Rothenburg 3 times and enjoyed each visit tremendously.

The narrow streets with medieval store signs hanging over the sidewalks (even Mc Donald's blends in), great wall to take walk around the city, great for photos, love the Christmas store on the main street......
I envy your overnight stay!
Enjoy!

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 04:37 AM
Questions

Follow-up question:

What's the best way to get to Rothenburg? I've already looked at DB's website and know the train routes. Is there a bus or other travel option that's more scenic? My friend and I are staying away from cars and commuting this time around. Thanks again for all the responses.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Kelly

I've been to Rothenburg 3 times. It's a must see. Lots of shopping, great food and ambiance. Don't miss it.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 08:11 AM
curt

I believe you can catch a bus that treks along the Romantik Strasse (Romantic Road) that will get you to Rothenburg. Here are some links for bus information:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/euraide/romantic.htm

http://neuschwanstein-country.net/romantic-road/tour.htm

http://www.highonadventure.com/Hoa97jun/Romtroad/romtrddt.htm

there are lots more, do a Google and look for "romantic road bus" and browse around

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 08:56 AM
Michael

The train ride is quite pleasant, particularly the last leg which is on a very local train--Rothenburg is the last stop. I don't think that a bus would be more scenic.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 08:57 AM
steve

My favorite town in Europe. Would move there tomorrow if I could.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Questions

Thank you all. I can't wait to go. I'm sure it will be great fun! Thanks for all the help.