Romantic Road

Aug 21st, 2003, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Romantic Road

I'm planning a nine day trip to the Romantic Road area and would like to hear your suggestions. I'll be traveling with my husband, at the end of August/beginning of September. We're flying into Frankfurt and spending our last night in Heidelberg - the rest of our trip will be the Romantic Road. Any recommendations on good, inexpensive places to stay? Also, should we make reservations in advance, or will it be easy to do so when we arrive. Last, but not least, any tips on what to pack? Thank you all!
Aug 21st, 2003, 07:17 AM

The "Romantic Road" is a marketing concept. There are some really interesting towns along the road, which I'm sure you're already familiar with - Weikeresheim is one that I particularly liked with its attractive palace - but there are also lots of nearby towns of interest that don't lie right on the RR route. Bamberg and Nuremberg are a couple of cities that you might consider. Smaller towns like Weissenburg, Eichstaett, and Pappenheim, clustered in the Altmuehl River Valley, make for interesting stops as well. In other words, don't feel constricted by the RR concept in planning your itinerary.

This July, we stayed in Neustadt-an-der-Aisch, an attractive town between Nuremberg and Rothenburg, from where we made daytrips to both cities. You could also see Bamberg and Wuerzburg easily from this town. We had a studio apartment there that rents for 26 Euros/night, a wonderful little place with a fully equipped kitchenette, balcony, and full bath. You can see the owners' webpage here:

www.accommodation.de/48003.htm

Enjoy your trip.

Russ
Aug 21st, 2003, 09:15 AM

We loved driving that route and stayed in Rothenburg, which I highly recommend. Rotherburg is a tourist nightmare during the day but great after all the daytrippers leave. We took the nightwatchmans walking tour and liked it despite it being rather cheesy!
Aug 21st, 2003, 09:28 AM

There's a nice hotel just outside the wall in Rothenburg that I would recommend named Hotel Hornburg. Owner is very helpful, the rooms are clean, and the breakfast was great. Wurzburg is a good place to spend a few days - the Residence (sp?) is incredible and it makes for a good centalized location along the RR. After Rothenburg and other charming towns you might find Heidleberg to be a bit of a touristy bore.
I would recommend making reservations in advance, but you should be able to find available lodging this time of year.
Aug 21st, 2003, 04:11 PM

Two good places in Rothenburg in the city walls are REICHS KUCHENMEISTER or MARKUSTURM. The BURG HOTEL is also quaint and very nice. I would recommend staying here for a few days and use this a base to explore. Night time is great.

Nuremburg is an easy day trip and worthwhile to see. The Romantic Road sort of starts at Wurzburg and heads due south to Garmisch area. Some of the towns that one poster mentioned are off this area, but I think they would be good to see.

Book reservations if you can. We have done it both ways with no problems. You just never know the time you are tired and enter a town with some festival going on and no nice place to stay. I would definitely get my hotel booked for my first night in Europe and my last night. That way you are not out looking for a place with jet lag or need a place for an early departure to airport. Makes that first day go a lot smoother.

We have stayed in Heidelberg many times on our last night in Germany. The ZUR BACKMULDE is located in the old town area with very nice rooms, good restaurant plus reasonable. You can stay there and walk to old town and get out easily the next morning as it is located near the river so easy to get out of town. They leave breakfast out for us when we have to leave early to get to Frankfurt. Phone: 011 49 6221 53660 Fax: 011 49 6221 536660.

Great area....have fun!
Aug 21st, 2003, 05:13 PM

Now that I'm home I can look up where we stayed--Bayerisher Hof. It's right outside the wall and was very charming (this was 4 years ago but should still be nice.) We drove from Munich and stopped in Dinklesbuhl and Dunnausworth which were both very cute towns.
Aug 21st, 2003, 06:29 PM

We visited Germany June of last year. There are several nice places to visit along the route--Wurzburg, Rothenburg, Dinkelbuhl, Nordlingen, all the way down to Ludwig's best known castles in Hohenschwangau. We also spent 3 nights in Bamberg--a really great little city that we enjoyed more than Heidelberg. But that's a matter of personal taste.

We stayed a few kilometers outside Rothenburg at a a castle hotel--Burg Colmberg in the town of Comberg (2 nights). Very nice, great views, excellent restaurant. As I remember, rooms ranged from about 75 euro to 175 euro with parking and breakfast.

In Hohenschwangau, we stayed at Pension Albrecht (2 nights) at 64 euro double including breakfast, parking, walking distance to the ticket center, and a great view of Neuschwanstein hanging directly overhead.

In Bamberg we stayed at the Hotel Brudermuhle right on the Regnitz river in the middle of the Altstadt. It was about 105 euro double with breakfast.

All had modern bathrooms, though the Brudermuhle's were small. All 3 places were great and we'd return in a minute.

The rest of the trip we overnighted in Munich (3 nights), Beilstein (3 nights)on the Mosel, and the town of Walldorf by Frankfurt airport (1 night).
Aug 23rd, 2003, 05:38 AM
jmw

http://www.schranne.com/html/english.html

Hi, jameyer23. I've stayed at the Zur Schranne twice and have been very satisfied. It is just inside the wall (unfortunately right at the tourbus parking lot, but they are not there early and late). It does have budget rates. J.

Aug 26th, 2003, 05:37 AM

Just returned from working in Germany, and lived 20 miles east of the romantic road. You could email me with questions if you'd like. Previous writers have mentioned
the night watchman's tour (neat)
spend time in Rothenburg at night.
Weikersheim was neat and not touristy
Thimblehut museum was stupid (I thought), but right across the road from a neat church with impressive altar (Cregligen).
I would try to stay a night in Burg Colmberg, 10 miles or so east of Rothenburg (previous writer described it well).
Dinkelsbuhl was neat.
But south of Dinkelsbuhl...it can be a bit boring until you get to the most southern part.
I might have some other ideas of places to see other than the R Road, if you have any ideas of getting off of that path.
EK
Aug 28th, 2003, 06:27 AM

jameyer,

Allow me to echo some of the sentiments of Rufus concerning the Bamberg-located Hotel Brudermuehle. The hotel, originally a mill dating from the 14th century, has a can't-beat location, overlooking the River Regnitz. Our room - we were there in early August - was very pretty and overlooked a footbridge with flower boxes. Kayakers were seen on a regular basis. One drawback was the constant roar of the water. Given the heat wave, we needed the windows to be wide open. Cooler, more normal temperatures would no doubt allow you to muffle the sound of the river. Other rooms allow you water views without the constant sound of the water. Whatever room you take, however, the Brudermuehle is a quietly elegant accomodation, featuring a good breakfast buffet and fine opportunities for people watching. All in all, it's a terrific place to explore the distinctive city that is Bamberg.

For further information, see www.brudermuehle.de

Best of luck.

Search this Thread