Romantic Road... How Long?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2008, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip from frankfurt to venice and was wondering how much time do I need to drive the RR. My plan was to drive from frankfurt to wurzbur and stop in rothenburg ob der tauber for the night then the next day take our time going down to and seeing dinkelsbuhl and Nordlingen. Then we were going to get on the 7 and head down to meersburg. According to google maps, it would be less than 4 hours driving time but if we plan on stopping at dinkelsbuhl and Nordlingen it will take more time. How long do you think it will take to see them? am I allowing enough time???
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

I meant to say it will take less than 4 hrs to get from rothenburg to meersburg on that one day. I am just wanting to know if there is enough time in the day or if I should plan a second stop along the way. Thanks!!!
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:22 AM

Well, in October I did the Romantic Road. It took five days. I stopped at every town the looked like it might be interesting. Some were; some weren't. I particularly liked Fuechtwagen, Nördlingen, Donauwörth, and Landsberg. I wasn't impressed with Dinkelsbühl, but it came right after Nördlingen, which I absolutely adored, so I might have been expecting to much.

Anyway, the time on the actual road, from Rothenburg to Füssen (not to Meersburg) will be almost 4 hours, according to Michelin, and after seeing that road, I think that time is optimistic.

If I were trying to go to Meersburg the second night, I think I would skip Dinkelsbühl, definitely see Nördlingen, and spend the night in Donauwörth, Augsburg, or Landsberg.
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:05 PM

I assume you know that the "Romantic" in Romantic Road refers to the towns along the way, not the road itself, which is not particularly scenic. Am I understanding correctly that you want to take two days to get from Frankfurt to Meersburg, overnighting in Rothenburg? That sounds quite rushed to me, especially if you want to spend any time at all in Wuerzburg or Rothenburg. Like Larry, we did a four-night/five-day tour of the Romantic Road, round-trip from Stuttgart, overnighting in Wuerzburg, Rothenburg, Augsburg, and Hohenschwangau (we spent our last day touring Ludwig's castles and then drove home to Stuttgart).

After going back and visiting some more of the towns on subsequent trips, I highly recommend Noerdlingen, Dinkelsbuehl, and Landsberg am Lech. (We weren't particularly enamoured by Augsburg and driving into the main part of town just to spend the night there was a bit of a nightmare.)

I would suggest adding one more night to give you more time to stop and explore the towns along the way. And if you like castles, the Romantic Road passes directly underneath Schloss Harburg near Noerdlingen, a remarkably well-preserved medieval castle that is worthy of a visit.

Landsberg might be your best bet for a second stop. It is not as much of a tourist destination as the other towns but has a lovely waterfront promenade and some nice restaurants. We stayed at the very reasonable Hotel Goggl in the heart of town.
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

actually, Its not so much the RR that we want to see... at least not completly. I want to see rothenburg and I heard that dinkelsbuhl and Nordlingen were nice too. The rest of it is not so much of a big deal.... except fussen which we will be staying at for 3 days after meersburg. As for wurzburg, I figured that when we fly into frankfurt, we will stay the night there and the next morning head to wurzburg and on to rothenburg for the night. I figured that should be fine to do in one day. My husband and I did munich from Fussen 2 years ago and only spent 1/2 a day there. We dont care too much for big cities... Anyhow, do I need more time on that first day??? Or can I see wurzburg in that amount of time?