Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > From Prague to Amsterdam - which route thru Germany?

From Prague to Amsterdam - which route thru Germany?

Aug 26th, 2003, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

From Prague to Amsterdam - which route thru Germany?

I'm trying to get from Prague to Amsterdam and need some advice on traveling through Germany. What should I absolutely not miss? I only have three days!
Aug 26th, 2003, 12:13 PM

Car or train?
Aug 26th, 2003, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Train and I'm solo. Just as a frame of reference, I'll be in Moscow for one week prior to this little jaunt.
Aug 26th, 2003, 12:40 PM

another question(s): Is this three days in Germany before Amsterdam - or is this three days including Amsterdam? Also, what are your interests? Are you more interested in museums, art, food, music, history, etc?
Aug 26th, 2003, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

The three days will be entirely devoted to Germany. I'm most interested in beautiful scenery and I love water. I enjoy discovering quaint, cozy little places that feel like my little secret.

Btw, I'll be there in October. Brrrr..
Aug 26th, 2003, 04:54 PM

There are so many places you might go, but it sounds like you'd enjoy some river towns.

I think with three days, you might do well to make a stop in Bamberg (from Prague, via Cheb and Nuremberg. Not a tiny place, but with a beautifully preserved medieval core right on the Regnitz river, and with relatively few international tourists - you may feel as though you discovered it yourself.

Then, maybe one-two nights on the Rhine or Mosel Rivers. You'll love the train ride between Bingen and Koblenz on the Rhine, but the Mosel scenery is maybe even better, so I'd suggest detouring up the Mosel a bit for your overnight stop. Cochem is busy with tourists in summer but very nice in the off/shoulder season - it's one of the most scenic towns on the river, with Reichsburg Castle on a riverside hilltop above town, and its narrow, cobblestoned streets - my favorite stop. If you want it really small and sleepy, try Ediger-Eller - the next stop upriver - or Reil, just beyond Bullay on the way to Traben-Trarbach, both of which are nice too. Since you'll be returning to Koblenz to move on to Amsterdam, Cochem, the closest to Koblenz of the three and a stop that accommodates a few of the faster trains, is probably the best town (scenically and strategically) and if you like a nice choice of eateries.

Here is a page on the Mosel:

http://www.mosel-reisefuehrer.de/mos...ightsengl.html

Russ
Aug 27th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Russ! Your suggestions appear to be just what I'm looking for during my three day journey. That's wonderful! I'll start researching!

Thanks again,
Katie
Aug 27th, 2003, 07:27 AM

Hello again,

You might also try Northern Germany - Lubeck, Hamburg, Bremen, etc. Spending Sunday morning at the Altona Fish Market in Hamburg would be unforgettable - although not exactly "cozy and quaint". You might find it interesting to compare and contrast Hamburg with Amsterdam.
You could also spend some time in Dresden or Berlin on your way. So many fascinating changes going on in Berlin that this might qualify as a missed opportunity to skip. A friend of mine recently returned from a trip to Berlin
by herself and she loved it.
(Just typing this makes me itch with envy for your trip - or it could be West Nile.)
You might want to pick up a copy of Lonely Planet's Germany for some helpful information about each region and how to get around. Good luck.
Aug 27th, 2003, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! The only reason I'm thinking of avoiding Berlin is Oktoberfest. Is it a fun time? Or should I avoid the crowd? I do love german beer!
Aug 27th, 2003, 02:07 PM

Can't imagine Berliners getting very excited about Oktoberfest. Also, it is over during the first weekend in October. Anyway - I think the best beer in Germany is found in Cologne - another good possible stop on your trip through Germany.
Aug 27th, 2003, 03:53 PM

"I'm most interested in beautiful scenery and I love water. I enjoy discovering quaint, cozy little places that feel like my little secret."

If the above is what you're looking for, then Berlin - an impressive, cosmopolitan city that requires at least 4-5 days to experience, in my opinion - is probably the least likely candidate for your itinerary.

Otherwise, I think a northern route could be very nice, too. Some quainter places to check out would be Bird's Luebeck, Celle (hundreds of half-timbered buildings), and Hameln (Pied Piper's place of work.)
Aug 27th, 2003, 04:27 PM

Another vote for Lubeck with some time spent in Travemunde. If you go, try to read Buddenbrooks by Thomas Mann. Eat some marzipan, and walk along the Baltic coast looking for amber. You can probably find some affordable, cool B&B's during the offseason. Make sure you write us a report when you get back - I'm interested in going to Prague as soon as possible.
Aug 28th, 2003, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

I absolutely will! I'm thrilled about going and can hardly wait to get there. Thank you all for your suggestions.

Search this Thread