COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

roommate finding

Old May 11th, 2004, 12:07 AM
dpr
Original Poster

roommate finding

I'll be travelling alone, but am thinking of booking a double room for one night in Siena in July because it's starting to look like most budget places with singles are completely full that week (it's right after the Palio). How hard do you think it would be to go into town that afternoon and find someone who would needed a place to stay and thus be able to split the cost, and what would be the best way of doing so?
Old May 11th, 2004, 12:11 AM

sounds really unsafe. A double room does not cost much more than a single.
good luck
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:21 AM
ira

Hey dpr,

Do you usually pick up strangers to spend the night? That is what you would be doing.
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:34 AM

Hotels many times book double rooms as single use and the rate is cheaper.

It appears that you want to go into the town and solicit other singles into sharing a room with you and that sounds different than what you're trying to accomplish. This is not a good idea.
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:36 AM

I have to agree--it's a very scarey thought.
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:41 AM

whoa, bad idea. that extra 50 bucks you spend is cheap insurance against being mugged or worse while you sleep.

I can see where if you stay in a hostel, you are essentially doing the same thing, sorta, but, the difference is you are not soliciting, hopefully you are just sharing with other backpackers who were attracted to the hostel and not you!

plus, do you really want to spend part of your day soliciting strangers to sleep with you? ar ar

if ya really really wanted to do this, start posting on lonely planet or whatever right now, to find other singles who may be in town at the same time & see if anyone wants to double up - BUT FOR PETE'S SAKE MEET 'EM FIRST.

Auntie flygirl has spoken!