COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

What area in Paris to stay in?

Old May 10th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

What area in Paris to stay in?

I am planning my honeymoon with our first stop being in Paris. We are looking for something close to the metro station and attractions. I have not been since I was a child, so all recommendations are appreciated. We will probably do the seine boat cruise, eiffel tower, a museum or two, and a little shopping and nightlife.

I have no idea what arrondissement/area will be best for us. Hotel recs appreciated too. Preferably 3-4 stars.

Thanks!
Old May 11th, 2004, 02:34 AM

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. You will never regret choosing Paris for a honeymoon. (We're leaving tonight to go back again for the third time in about two years.)You'll get many suggestions after mine.
I'd suggest for a first time trip to Paris that you consider the Rue Cler area in the 7th. The Hotel I'd suggest there is the Hotel Relais Bosquet (www.relaisbosquet.com). I think it has three stars but if it's two, it's a well earned two.The room is about 145 euros, although they have a promotion in July and August for 126 euros. The photos on the website are an accurate representation of the room. The room is not huge, but its nice. We had a perfect view of the Invalides dome out the back window. The place is not big, but sort of cozy in a way. I found the desk staff to be very helpful.Rick Steve's recommends the hotel in his book and we thought this one was very worthwhile.

It is located within easy walking distance of the Eiffel Tower and isn't that long of a walk to the Arc de Triumphe and the Champs Elysee.

The Ecole Militaire Metro stop is about three blocks and buses also stop there at Avenue la Motte Picquet and Avenue Bosquet. There is a cafe right on that corner and also one almost at the end of your street. There is also an Internet cafe nearby, just off Rue Domenique, across Avenue Bosquet. The area is nice, and not overwhelming, for someone going the first time, mainly because it is not a "central" location, but with the Metro right there, it is easy to connect to anywhere else. The Rue Cler market is right at the end of the street and is nice to visit. It gives you a sense of "belonging" after you visit it a few times.

Several place I'd suggest you include:
The Musee D'Orsay is beautiful. Be sure to visit the Impressionists paintings.

The Opera Garnier is one of the most beautiful buildings in Paris and is gorgeous lighted up at night.Sit in the cafe across the street. Very romantic. If at all possible, I would suggest seeing the ballet "Giselle" there. It is offered this summer. It was just beautiful, and I am not a particular fan of ballet or knowledgeable about it to any degree. If you can, see if you can get a seat in Section 53 or 54. It's a slightly raised area that is dead center and had a gorgeous view. The hotel desk told us that since we were looking for seats late that they would be likely sold out, but they tried and got these seats for us. The place is just terrific inside too.

The views from several of the department store terraces, Galeries Lafayette and Samaritaine I think, are better then the ones from the Eiffel Tower, but it is still naturally only sensible to see that too.

The view from the Sacre Coeur steps in Montmarte is also stunning (Abesses Metro stop. Go left out of exit and down the street about three blocks.) You'd probably enjoy Montmarte too as it's quaint. I know this sounds trite to seasoned travelers, but rent the video of Amelie before you go and visit the cafe where they did the filming. The name is listed in the guidebooks or other contributors will remember it easily. Have a great time. I guarantee you that you will return. Paris is a bottomless pit of things to do, see and enjoy.
The best Paris map is Berndtson's, probably available at Barne's and Noble. It is plastic, foldable and has all the basics on it. All for $6.95. A handy dictionary is the little vinyl covered yellow one by Langenscheidt, "Universal Dictionary French" ,for about $5. The paper covered ones don't hold up any more than the papers maps do. Have a good life together!
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:00 AM
ira

Hi hppy,

For what you want, I suggest looking in the 1st, 6th or 7th districts.

www.multimap.com gives you a zoomable map of your address and shows the metro stops.

http://www.ratp.fr/ will give you bus and metro maps as well as point to point directions.
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:32 AM

I suggest the 6th Arrondisement. We have stayed in the 1,6,7 and 8 and have settled on the 6th as the one we like best. It is lively, charming and convenient to the sights. Hotels which might meet your need are the Hotel des Saint-Peres and Le Regent, both three stars in the 6th. If you choose Le Regent, reserve a superior room as the others are very small. And enjoy Paris!
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:26 AM

we like the 7th arr. It is very nice and clean and close to the train station and the Eiffel Towel. Check out the Derby Alma hotel, it is great and a very good and reasonable price too.
Old May 11th, 2004, 05:45 AM
Singletail

Hppycpl: If by chance you aren't as "up on" Paris "by the numbers" which, is, I think, a poor way of recommending places to stay then you might find the following site helpful in explaining the various areas and what is found in each one:

http://www.frumious.demon.co.uk/paris3.html

As to Metro "saturation" in Paris..in the parts of the city you are likely to stay in you'll find the Metro is everywhere and rarely more than a few minutes' walk from where you are staying.