Search

Rome's subway

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome's subway

Some questions about Rome's subway:
1. Do they sell a carnet or book of tickets the way they do in Paris?
2. Are the subway tickets OK to use on Rome's bus lines? Can you transfer from one system to the other?
3. If we want to go to Ostia Antica, what is the best way using the subway system from the Vatican area?
4. About how much does a Roman subway ticket cost?
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 03:05 PM

Try this website
http://www.metroroma.it/MetroRoma/HTML/EN/
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 03:10 PM

The Rome subway is nowhere near as big as the Paris system with only two lines. last year I purchased a daily ticket for 4 euro , which gives you access to both lines. These sites have some good info on tickets
http://www.enjoyrome.com/tourist/cit...portation.html

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/rome_t...on/tickets.htm

You could also consider the romapass which includes transportation
http://www.romapass.it

Old Apr 8th, 2007, 05:57 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
There aren't books of tickets, but you can get a 1 day pass (4E I think) or a 7 day (16E) and they can be used on the busses also. www.atac.roma.it Click on biglietti on the left side and then you will be able to click English.

The better deal, if you are going to be in Rome a few days, would be the Roma Pass which included admission to a few sights and transportation for 20E.

There is a boat cruise to Ostia Antica that you can catch on the Tiber on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Round trip with 2 hours at Ostia is 13E.
www.battellidiroma.it
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 06:52 PM

You will probably find, as I have on 4-5 trips to Rome, that you won't even use the subway, or maybe only once or twice. It's a very impoverished system that isn't of much use to tourists unless you happen to be at a hotel right near a stop and need to go someplace right near another stop. Walking is a better alternative. And the trolley system is much better.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 07:13 PM

The tickets for the subway are valid on the busses and on the tram system. Tram 8 is useful if you're going to Trastevere. The busses are pretty useful anywhere, particularly #116, one of the small electric busses that runs through the historic center. Bus 64 and Bus 40 (an express with feser stops run between Termini (the main train station and St Peters)

Tickets are available as for 90 minutes
1 day (until midnight.. not 24 hours) 3 days and 7 days. THe ATAC website lists each of these. You buy tickets at a Tabacchi and validate the ticket on the first ride by putting it in a machine on the bus or putting it through the turnstile when getting on the subway.

Be careful for pickpockets. Wear most of you money under your clothes in some sort of belt and put your packback on in front of you when on any public transportation. Some of the pickpockets are MASTERS....
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 08:14 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The ATAC website says the 1E ticket is good for 75 minutes, not 90 and they no longer list a 3 day ticket. I'm looking at the English version and it could be that the times and prices are different in Italian. Sometimes the English versions aren't updated as soon.
Old Apr 9th, 2007, 07:24 AM

>>3. If we want to go to Ostia Antica, what is the best way using the subway system from the Vatican area?

From the Vatican area, you would take Metro Line A to Roma Termini and transfer to Metro Line B. Take Line B to Piramide where you can connect to the Ostiense Train Station and catch a local train to Ostia Antica.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 07:01 PM

Kybourbon
You are right about the 75 minutes for the BIT ticket.... but the 3 day ticket, the BTI, is still available according to the Italian page on the ATAC website. (You are also right that it is not listed on the English version of the same page)
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:32 PM

bkm
Old May 2nd, 2007, 08:54 PM

bookmark
Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:13 PM

2 points - we were in Rome in October

* Husband was pickpocketed on the subwa - his naivety. He had his billfold in his side pocket.

* Strikes - we arrived by train planning on taking the metro from the terminus to the Spanish Steps. The metro was on strike and the queue for the taxis was huge. Touts offered us a taxi for 70 euro!! We had to walk. We had a party of 6. Our friend the engineer, kept asking for directions, his wife the overpacker, couldn't manage her bag. I just walked as I had figured out where to go and we had be meet the apartment agent at a specific time. So our party was straggled over 3 blocks.

Arrived at the Spanish Steps and the elevator was also on strike!! SO had to lug our luggage down the steps. Our apartment was on Via Carrozze and 2 floors up. Well we made it!!

Told my SIL. She was in Rome in July and the taxis were on Strike. They had to lug their luggage to the Pantheon, as they were no where near a metro station.

Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:25 PM

I was also almost pickpocketed on the subway in Rome. It was very crowded, standing room only. I managed to move my bag to the front and we got off at the next stop. Just take the usual precautions like you would in any crowded area.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:19 AM

If you are staying in the Vatican area, you can also catch a #23 bus to the Ostiense train station area (That's also the most direct way to get by bus to Trastevere from the Vatican. It goes along the Tiber. On the way back/north it travels on the other side of the river). Don't know how the transit time would compare to taking the Metro, but you'd see more along the way
You should plan on getting a good bus map from the tourist office when you get to Rome if you want to use buses.

There is a good description of local boat transportation on the Tiber on the thread called Public Transportation from Trastevere.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:34 AM

Personally, I have had more trouble with the ticket machines in the Rome subway than on any other system i have ever used.

My advice would be to buy the tickets at the newsstands or the tobacco shops but perhaps I am simply ticket machine-challenged.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:38 AM

we didn't use the subway, just buses, but we would second the recommendation that you buy tickets via the newsstand/tobacco shop method. The machines often did not work
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 12:57 PM

ttt