Rome's Hotel Celio--experiences?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2011, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sandra Gustafson is touting Rome's Hotel Celio on her web site. Has anybody on this forum stayed there and will share their experiences?
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 01:38 PM

Hi Sandra I was actually wondering about the same hotel for our upcoming cruise in April. If you hear anything could you let us know?
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Im not sure if Sandra Gustafson contributes to this forum, but an updated recommendation for Hotel Celio is on her web site (in her notes to the 5th Edition of her Great Sleeps in Italy).
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 02:06 PM

Oh okay thank you, I'm still trying to figure out how to use this website I'm new..
So thank you
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 02:30 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
It's not the area most people desire on a first visit.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Kybourbon,

This is likely to be our only visit, at our ages (73 and 67). Please expand a bit on your comment, if you would. It seems that being in the neighborhood of the historic Rome (the Colisseum, etc) can't be altogether a bad thing. Is the neighborhood unsafe? Since we're older, we identify a bit with older things, e.g., museums, ancient sites, etc, and have been quite intrigued with Roman architecture and artifacts in Trier, Nimes, Verona, York and even London.

We'll certainly not miss the Vatican and St. Peter's, but they're not our principal focus.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 06:00 PM

I think what KYB was likely refering to is the fact that this area is a bit on the fringes of the historic centre and for a first-time visitor in particular, it's often more interesting to stay in the Piazza Navona-Campo di'Fiori area. That's really smack in the centre of things, with lots of good restaurants, markets, churches, interesting sites, beautiful fountains all very close by.

I suppose if the historic center of Rome was the face of a clock, the Piazza Navona area would be right in the middle, where hands of the clock are attached, and the Colosseum and Forum are more down around 4 or 5, off the one edge making it more difficult to visit most of the other major sites.

In terms of the Hotel Celio, I'm a bit troubled by all of the negative reviews on Trip Advisor. Any hotel is going to draw some criticism, and there are also many positive reviews. But the sheer volumne of negative comments is a concern.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...ome_Lazio.html
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 06:02 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
It's on the outside edge of what would be considered the historic center. If you look at a Rome map, the area bounded by the river to the Spanish Steps over to Via Cavour (runs from the train station to the Forum) is the area most people want so they can easily walk to things. Also, many of the areas that are more central are pedestrian only as are streets around the Spanish Steps. The dark green bus line and the red bus line (these are small electric buses that are allowed in the pedestrian center, not regular buses)on the map link (zoom in to 66%) are more the area considered historic center, excluding the part of the dark green line that goes up Via Veneto (which is considered a bit out of the way and is all uphill). You can see your hotel past the Colosseum would be on the far side of everything.
http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=9

If the main focus of your visit is the Colosseum/Forum/Palantine then it would be ok. The street by the Colosseum is a very busy city street with lots of cars/vespas.

How many days do you have in Rome and what are your plans/hotel budget? You will get suggestions of hotels that might work better if you state your needs.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 10:49 PM
Original Poster

We're starting to do a bit of re-thinking and we'd like some recommendations for the area around Piazza Navona and the Pantheon.

We've not so far settled on a second destination. On the in for a penny in for a pound principle its much more economic if we can spread the now increasing costs of our airfares from Seattle over two or three weeks, so we've thought about Siena (Tuscan wine country) and points north. We looked over the Rick Steves Rome tour to get an idea of how many days for Rome, and we think 5 to 7, excluding arrival and departure; we'll be traveling not on a tour but independently (as we have on five previous trips), so we're not inexperienced. Frommers discusses briefly some Rome tours by both American Express and some independent academic types, and we might consider one of those.

We'll be traveling by rail throughout the European leg (we may stop in Montreal for a couple of days for a niece's wedding) of our trip. After driving a bit in Montreal and experiencing some time in the UK, Florence, and Central Europe, we want to continue our practice of not driving in Europe and we'll seek out wine/eating tours if we spend some days in Tuscany or the Piedmont (two additional possibilities after Rome); besides, it's easier and more relaxing to partake of the grape and let someone else do the driving.

I think our Rome hotel budget, at current exchange rates, might stretch to about 220 to 240 Euros tops per night.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 10:51 PM
Original Poster

Oops, I probably meant the Euro equivalent of $250 per night.