Notices

Rome with Young Adults

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 06:01 PM
Sue

Rome with Young Adults

We would like to take a family vacation with our daughter (age 18) and son (age 22) to Rome and the northern Lakes. We would love any suggestions for an itinerary. Our kids like art and sailing!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:14 AM
cindy

Hi Sue--We just returned from Rome and Tuscany with our 18 and 22 yr. old sons. They loved it--In Rome, they enjoyed the Scaavi tour of St. Peter's, and loved hanging out having gelato and watching the street performers in Piazza Navona at night. Of course, they enjoyed the pizza and pasta and paninis too. They liked the Forum and Colosseum--my 18 year old remarked "Mom, do you realize Ceasar once walked down this very same road?" So I think they appreciated the history.

They quickly tired of art museums, but surprisingly enjoyed visiting the churches, especially St. Peter's and the Gesu Church. I can't help you with the lake region. We also spent some time in the Cinque Terre, and they both enjoyed the hiking from town to town.

I would plan for a good mix of museums and outdoor activities, but if your children are anything like mine, don't expect to be out the door by 9 a.m. It took threats to get my 22 yr. old out of bed by 10 some mornings! Very exasperating! Also, let them go on their own at times--we did this for an afternoon in Florence and a morning in Rome and it worked well--

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:16 AM
AttyVette

We are going to Rome next week with a 22 year old girl and 19 year old boy. We are taking the trains, to travel to different cities, but we will be staying in Rome.I am interested if you find any neat places to take them as I am interested as well.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:14 AM
Jess

Assuming you are from America, make sure to get to Lush, a great British bath products store unavailable in the US. It is near the Campo de Fiori. Definitely see the Borghese Gallery and make sure you visit the ancientsculpture section of the Vatican. I picked out museums by the art I wanted to see. If they have anything specific, try to do that. Make sure to visit Santa Maria in Trastevere, and check out the intersting Annunciation on the left portico wall. God is literally throwing the baby Jesus at Mary--very unique.
For the evenings, head to the Campo de Fiori for youthful nightlife.
Make sure you take some time to relax--easier said than done in Rome. I've never been so tired as those days I spent in Rome, running to see everything. And shop--especially for clothing and shoes! As a twenty- something woman, I had a hard time giving up shopping time to visit museums, but I did.