Reload this Page >

rome with car - Help!

Search

rome with car - Help!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 10:38 AM
Ann

rome with car - Help!

Well I am putting the finishing touches on our October honeymoon but I am perplexed about what to do with our rental car in Rome. Our itinerary is as follows: arrive Rome, train to Florence, 3 days Florence, pick up car, 3 days Tuscan countryside, 2 days Rome and 4 days Positano (hotels are set for everywhere but Rome). We are nervous about having a car in Rome and don't know what to do. Should we stay outside the city 2 nights and take day trips in? I have no idea of where would be good/convenient. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 10:40 AM
XX

Where are you staying in Positano?

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 10:56 AM
ann

We are staying at the Villa Rosa. I considered taking the train down instead but we'd prefer the flexibility of a car.

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 10:58 AM
xx

How did you choose Villa Rosa?

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:09 AM
xxx

It's true you don't want to have a car in Rome, but if it's at the end and all you want to do is drive into Rome, drop the car, and then fly home from there, it won't be too bad. But it looks like you're staying in Rome for 2 days and then heading to Positano -- is that right? Where are you flying home from? Is it possible to make the Rome part of your visit the last part so you won't have to keep the car while in Rome?

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 11:16 AM
ann

We considered doing Rome at the end but that would mean switching our Positano reservation - not sure it is possible, but I guess I'll check into it. The other drawback is that it seems a waste to drive direct from tuscany to positano - 6 hours - since we wouldn't be able to see much (has anyone done this - am I wrong about that).

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Cheryl

Ann,<BR> Last year we drove into Rome from--from Sorrento---and found it easy to follow the directions to the large parking garage at the Borghese Park. Once you park and exit the garage you can take a long escalator or stairs and you end up in the Metro station turn right and you are at the Spanish steps. So if you have a hotel in that eara you are set--if not the cabs are there to take you any where you want. Return the same way pay at top of steps of the garage--go to your car and off you go to Positano.I wouldn't miss Rome at night by staying outsie the city.<BR>Have fun Cheryl

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 01:27 PM
rudy

Hi Ann,<BR>Last year, we did your itinery from Florence to Positano. We took the train from Florence to Rome, and then rented a car in Rome and drove to Positano, which is a 3 hour drive. If you have nerves of steel, you can handle the driving to Positano. If not, I would suggest taking the train down to Sorrento, and then taking a bus/taxi or limo to Positano.<BR><BR>Don't keep a car in Rome. We came back from Positano with our rental car, and thought we would drop off the luggage and then return the rental car.<BR>We got so lost, finally gave up and returned the car. The streets are very confusing in Rome. We got lost many times!!<BR><BR>Have a happy honeymoon!

Old Sep 17th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Sally

Ann<BR><BR>My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon and Rome was our first stop. We rented a car while we were in Rome and found it to be very easy. We drove through the city and parked anywhere that had a blue line (public parking). You pay at the parking machines near where you park and we did not run into any problems. The only thing is, do not pay anyone who says that he is the parking attendant. Only pay through the machines. You'll love Rome!