Rome Vatican reservation needed?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to the Vatican museum in early October. Will making a reservation really reduce the wait? We thought most of the wait is for security, would people with reservation still get into the same line? We read in this forum that going to the vatican after noon will reduce the wait time, is that true?

Anyone have any thoughts? Grazie!
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 07:28 PM

Don't think you can make reservation for Vatican Museum. Have to wait in line with everyone else. You can book a tour with one of the companies, but even they have to wait in line.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 03:55 AM

We just returned from Rome. We went to the Vatican museum around noon and had no wait to get in but we quickly caught up with the line inside. To be honest I could not enjoy this museum. It was so crowded that you barely had room to move or breathe and it was very hot. Hopefully you will not find it so busy in October.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 04:00 AM

Don't think you can reserve. Even guides have to wait in line. Lines can vary a lot; sometimes you just walk right in. I went there three times, and the longest wait was 15 mins.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 04:16 AM

No reservations for individuals or groups.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 04:29 AM
rfb

I have found that the best time to visit the vatican museum is during papal audiences. There is virtually no line and actually room inside to enjoy the exhibits.

Check the schedule and go then.

Old Sep 14th, 2004, 04:51 AM

I too have had luck with entering around noon - in October. Parts will still be crowded, especially the Sistine Chapel, but we had no line at all. I would expect it might vary slightly this October. We went in 2001, when travel was down a bit. I would suggest trying mid-day. You can use the early hours before this to visit St. Peters. I have been there at around 8:30 and in the early afternoon, and there is no comparison. Afternoon - still beautiful but packed, packed, packed. Early morning - virtually empty and more spiritual experience.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 05:05 AM

If your budget allows,go initaly.com and book a private guide. They will send a driver to your hotel to pick you up, while someone else waits in line. You will be at the front of the line and go right in when you arrive. The tour guide we had was fabulous. .
I can't imagine enjoying the Vatican as much without this wonderful service.Our guide was incredibly knowlegeable and answered all our questions. They will custom design your tour to meet your interests.