Search

Rome to Venice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome to Venice

Just after Easter we wish to travel by car from Rome to Venice, stopping for a couple (?) of nights at one place on the way. We wish to stay somewhere easy to find where parking and driving aren't a hassle. We envisage perhaps taking a train or bus into a city from there to avoid this.<BR>I'd welcome suggestions as to a suitable town and hotel - the cheaper the better.<BR><BR>When we head towards Venice we plan to do the same thing - staying in a smaller place outside Venice. Suggestions also needed for this.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 11:12 AM
rex

Three will be plenty of people who will question why bother renting a car at all. You can accomplish your objectives - - assuming those are focused on seeing other CITIES - - by taking thr train to Florence and/or Bologna and/or Verona en route to Venice from Rome.<BR><BR>Of course, if your goal is to see the countryside AND a bit of one or more city along the way - - or if you are three, four or more, then car might be cheaper, and/or give you more flexibility of schedule.<BR><BR>But using your car to stay outside Venice and &quot;train in&quot; is not good judgement in my opinion. Far better to stay IN Venice to experience Venice, in my opinion - - if for not other reason than the best two hours of the day walking through Venice are the last hour before bedtime, and the first hour as soon as you get up, as the city &quot;wakes up&quot;. You miss both of those if you stay elsewhere and train in for the day.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 11:37 AM

Why would you want to stay outside of Venice (in Mestre, presumably) and commute into Venice? Take the train from Rome to Venice and stay in Venice proper. 1st class train fare is ~65 Euro and takes a bit over 4 hrs.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 12:12 PM

Part of your question not answered yet is where to stop on the way from Rome to Venice, assuming your stated plan is still intact. Somewhere more or less halfway would be the most appropriate, and you want to have ease of getting to the overnight stop and parking there. Based on those assumptions I have made after reading your note, I would suggest you stop in Montecatini Terme, about 15 to 20 miles west of your route on the A11, after passing Florence on the A1. From here you can easily daytrip into Lucca, Pisa, Florence, and Siena if you wish. Montecatini has lots of hotels and is easy to get into and out of with your car.<BR><BR>But for Venice, I endorse all the others. Stay inside Venice proper. Turn in your car if it makes sense and if you don't want to pay for it while it's sitting in a parking garage.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 12:46 PM

Last year drove from Rome - Modena - Sienna - Florence - venice. It was a nice drive. I/m with the others Stay in Venice great city - great food!!
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Sorry - there was other info I didn't give.We will have a car because we will be touring for a month and mainly want to travel round the smaller towns, but to also include Rome and Venice. We won't be collecting our car until we leave Rome, but will need it before and after Venice. Rome &amp; Venice are the only large cities we really care about visiting.
Old Mar 29th, 2003, 02:19 PM

Depending on how long you're planning to stay in Venice you could leave it parked at the parking garage near the train station or turn it in &amp; get another when you leave. Other options, they do allow cars on Lido but I'm not sure how much it costs to bring one over. You could stay in Lido(hotels usually cheaper too) &amp; take a vaparetto every day but it's not the same as being IN Venice.<BR><BR>Finally, if you're determined to stick to your original plan, the town of Asolo is a one hour train ride from Venice &amp; is beautiful BUT it's not Venice &amp; 2 hrs travel every day sounds inwise to me.