Rome to the Amalfi Coast

Search

Rome to the Amalfi Coast

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome to the Amalfi Coast

Hi there. My husband and I are traveling to Italy the first week of July. We arrive in Rome the morning of June 30th and will be staying the first 4 nights in Positano. Neither one of us have ever been to Italy and we are getting a lot of mixed advice. I would love to hear opinions from this forum. How would you suggest getting from Rome to Positano? Some have suggest train to Naples then a car. Some have suggested a private car from Rome all the way to Positano. We are open to any and all suggestion.
Thanks in advance!
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:24 AM

We got a driver to pick us up from Naples train station (we took the train there from Rome) and it was well worth the expense. The bus from Sorrento is a bit of a nightmare – really crowded, we had to stand the whole way when we took it to get to Pompeii, so if you can swing it I would definitely recommend a driver. We used this one and he was great: http://www.cuomonet.it/
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:51 AM

I agree---train to Naples and then a driver.
The best option is to hire a private driver to meet you at the Naples station or airport and take you directly to your hotel. Expect to pay about 100E.
www.cuomonet.it www.tourofitaly.com www.francescomarrapese.com
www.angelodriver.com
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:15 AM

Please do a search of this forum: this question has been answered a zillion times, and you will get a lot of good information. For trains and public transit information, including instructions with photos for navigating Naples train station, look for the very informative posts of the Fodors member A_Brit_In_Ischia.
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:26 AM

I think a lot depends on where you're going after Amalfi, and whether you'll need a car for that. We drove from Fiumicino airport to Praiano, very near Positano on the Amalfi coast. It's really not a bad drive, took us about 3 1/2 hours. BUT it's true that the drive on the coast road is hair raising at best, and you best have nerves of steel to undertake this. In addition, we realized it was just too much driving our first day. For our day trips to Positano & Amalfi we drove, but realized later that the local buses are very convenient, and when we return we'll take better advantage of them.
Old May 15th, 2012, 04:55 AM

Dearest
Living in Amalfi I suggest to take a train from Roma to Naples and then a taxi transfer arranged by hotel's reception asking a good rate before.
Have a nice trip!
Old May 15th, 2012, 05:05 AM

My wife and I chose to train into Naples and drive from there. It was the highlight of our trip as it is a beautiful drive. We had only minor problems, but I agree that it is not for the faint of heart. It was not terribly busy in May, but I would recommend against driving during the summer months as I imagine the area is swarmed with tourists. The buses seemed to be really safe but the drivers drive like madmen. Riding the buses is definitely and experience. If you can afford it, a driver is probably your best bet. To save some cheese, you could possibly train into Salerno and have a driver from there.