Naples Airport to Ravello

Old Mar 13th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Naples Airport to Ravello

I have read various reports about getting to Ravello from Naples Airport and all of them sound confusing. I am a single traveller arriving in Naples in July at 11.10am and would like to get to Ravello as quickly and with the least disruption as possible. I had thought that my best route was to go to the ferries and take one to Amalfi but none of the recommendations that I have read suggest this as the best option. Can anyone explain why this is?
I would appreciate any information as my reason for going to Ravello is to go to some of the classical concerts but I am now wondering if it is just too difficult to
get to.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 12:40 PM

I don't know anything about the ferry schedule between Naples and Amalfi, but it's about a two-hour drive. If you did take a ferry to Amalfi, you would then have to take a bus to Ravello, which is inland.

Your best bet (although expensive) would probably be to get quotes from private drivers for the trip. I can highly recommmend Giovanni Gargiulo, who can be reached at tourofitaly. com.

There's also a new driver who's been posting here on the forum, whose name is Francesco. And there are others as well, if you search previous posts for drivers on the Amalfi Coast.

Good luck!
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 12:50 PM

I second Weadles advice. If cost is a concern, take one of the fast boats to Amalfi, then the bus up the hill to Ravello (a great, precipitous ride!). Ravello is one of the most beautiful spots I've been to--you'll be glad you made the effort to get there.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 03:07 PM

I agree that Ravello is one of the most beautiful places I've been to. I was sorry I was only there for a day. We hired a driver to pick us up at the Naples train station and drive us to our hotel in Sorrento. Then, the next morning he picked us up in Sorrento and drove us to Ravello. His daily cost was 150 E which was very reasonable in my opinion for the fantastic service. His name is Renato Cuomo and his website is www.cuomonet.it.You definitely don't want to wandering around Naples alone!
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 04:22 PM

On my first trip to Amalfi Coast I was traveling solo and used a private driver, I think it's worth it, and I second the recommendation for Francesco Marrapese who is just started his own business as a private driver this year ( although he is an experienced driver), and has posted many helpful tips on this forum in recent weeks.
I had the driver pick me up at the airport and take me to Positano, where I caught a boat for Amalfi and a bus for Ravello, That way, I was able to experience so much variety on the way to Ravello, which is a wonderful choice as a place to stay. Enjoy your experience!
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 04:27 PM

There is a back road to Ravello that the drivers all know that is faster than going to Positano or Amalfi. From the airport a driver is your best option.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 04:42 PM

We had a private taxi driver take us from the Naples train station to Ravello.We went to a Beethoven piano concert while we were there. My only regret is that we stayed only one night.It is the most romantic place I have ever visited.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 08:40 AM

Hi cambe,
Ravello is great. bobthenav gives good advice if you are not interested in seeing the view of the coast. We used Benvenuto limo service. There is a lot of private driver into on this site if you do a search. We were happy with Giovanni and he will give you a price before you commit. Happy travels.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your replies and you have certanily helped me I was getting very concerned about getting to Ravello. Cost is important to me as I am travelling alone - but so is my safety. I will look into the cost of hiring a driver. As I will be in Ravello for 5 days I was encouraged that my inital route ws not dismissed and I have since found out that a ferry to Amalfi leaves from the portat 13.45 and that I can get a bus to Ravello from a stop close by. If anyone is interested, I will let you know about the Concerts I intend to frequent when I am there.
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 10:52 AM

Cambe,
We hired a driver for this June named Renato Cuomo www.cuomonet.it
who has been reccomended by lots of people on this web site.
His price for pick up in Naples and drop off in Positano for 2 people is Euro 75, which didn't seem unreasonable.
You can e-mail him for a price quote.
Good luck
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 11:39 AM

Cambe..If cost is a concern please check out www.hotelgardenravello.it for your accomadations in Ravello. They are walking distance to the Concerts and VERY reasonable. ( I'm going to the Concerts in April and can't wait!!
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 02:59 PM
GAC

You've got a couple of options to travel cheaply:

1. Airporter bus to Napoli Molo Beverello, then hydrofoil to Amalfi, then local bus to Ravello; OR

2. Airporter bus to Napoli Stazione Centrale, then train to Salerno, then bus to Amalfi, then local bus to Ravello; OR

3. Airporter bus to Napoli Stazione Centrale, then bus to Amalfi, then local bus to Ravello.

I would choose the most convenient of these, based upon your schedules.

www.metrodelmare.com (hydrofoil)
www.sita-on-line.it (buses)
www.trenitalia.com (Naples to Salerno by train)