Rome to Sorrento?

Old May 13th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Michele

Rome to Sorrento?

Does anyone know how long it will realistically take to get from Rome to Sorrento in one day?

Old May 13th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Fox

You answered your own question.

Old May 13th, 2002, 09:30 AM
GAC

Two hours to Naples by FS train, followed by 70 minutes to Sorrento by Circumvesuviana commuter train. Rome to Naples schedules and fares on <BR>www.trenitalia.com<BR>Circumvesuviana runs every 30 minutes.

Old May 13th, 2002, 09:50 AM
hownow

It would seem that the key missing element here is: What mode of transportation are you using? Train? Auto?<BR><BR>My (dim) memory tells me that we made the drive in 2-3 hours each way.

Old May 13th, 2002, 09:53 AM
chuck

I see that most ES trains from Rome, arrive in Naples at the half hour sharp (10:30am, 12:3pm, 2:30pm, etc.). On the other hand, the Vesuviuana connection departs 8 minutes later, that is, at xx:38. <BR><BR>Are 8 minutes enough to reach the Vesuviana station (which I understand is on a lower floor) and buy tickets at the counter to catch the immediate connection, or is this unreallistic?

Old May 13th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Pam

Hi Michele,<BR><BR>We just returned from Sorrento and drove to Fimucino (sp?) Airport west of Rome on the last day. The traffic around Sorrento was appallingly bad. To get the 40 or so kilometres from Pompei to Sorrento one evening took us 1 hour and 45 minutes! The mopeds and motorcylists cut into traffic at every opportunity and really make it impossible for the cars to progress. We actually left Italy a day ahead of schedule because we found that area so unpleasant. We drove out on a Sunday (traffic acceptable at 7:30 a.m.) morning to Herculaneum (Ercolano), just south of Naples and then to the airport from there. It took us about 2 1/2 hours going way over the speed limit for most of the time. I didn't take the trains because I am allergic to cigarette smoke and it seems like 90% of the Italians are diesels.

Old May 13th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Patty

ttt

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Kay

To Chuck -<BR>we recently did this train journey, Rome to Sorrento via Naples. If you walk quickly and there is not much of a queue at the ticket counter, 8 mins should be enough but don't count on your train arriving on time in Naples. Our Eurostar from Rome was an hour and a half late!! There are signs to follow once you arrive at Naples station and it's not very far. If you have heavy luggage it will be more difficult.<BR>Kay

Old May 16th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Myer

We jusr got back a couple of days ago. Sorrento was great.<BR><BR>We took the Eurostar from Rome to Naples and it arrived on time. We had luggage and going down 2 flights of stairs was a bit of a hassle.<BR><BR>You then have to figure out which train is the one to Sorrento.<BR><BR>Between the ticket booth and the trains there is an electronic board listing the track and time of each train. There may be several different trains using the same track. Also, the trains have no readable markings.<BR><BR>The trick is to get on the correct track and then read the electronic board above the track. It indicates the next train and how long a wait.<BR><BR>This mode of transportation is definitely below 2nd class but gives a local flavor. Depending upon the day and time you may get a full train of students. Fun to watch.<BR>