Rome to Positano

Old Jul 29th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome to Positano

I don't speak Italian, so trying to plan this trip is a little frustrating.

I am trying to get from Rome (hopefully Termini) on August 20th to Positano. There was a post from two years ago adressing this, I was wondering if there were updates. I looked at the trenitalia web site and it looked like there was an earlier train at 9:45 to Salerno, the eurostar. Is Roma ( Tutte Le Stazioni ) the same as Termini? Would people suggest I buy the ticket early? What about ferry tickets?
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 06:00 AM

Tutte Le Statzioni searches for ALL the Rome stations, including Termini. Considering August 20 is the height of Italian vacation season, I would get advance tickets for the Eurostar. I don't think you need to get advance tickets for the ferry from Salerno to Positano.
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

As far as booking train tickets is concerned, when I went on the web site just now there were a lot of different levels of tickets, I am a 23 year old student, is there a discount for me?
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 06:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We did this trip a few years ago and it was surprisingly simple. We caught the train from Roma Termini to Naples.

Roma Termini is the main train station, which can be a bit confusing if you are not used to large European train stations. Give yourself plenty of time to find the right platform, right coach and right seat.

The train took about 2 hours and we bought our tickets a few days in advance, when we were in Rome. I wrote on a piece of paper what we wanted as I don't speak Italian. It worked well.

When you are travelling, in August, is the peak season for Italians going on holidays so bear this in mind when buying tickets.

When we arrived in Naples, we looked for the signs for the Circumvesuviana train line, I think we had to go downstairs to another level. We bought tickets to Sorrento, about 5 euro each one way, trip took about 1 hour and was pretty crowded. I think we stood most of the way.

On arrival in Sorrento, the bus station is right outside the train station, go inside and buy a ticket on the next bus to Positano. Bus trip will take about 30 mins.

I believe there is a ferry from Naples to Positano but am not sure of the details. You could go into a large bookstore and look at one of the guidebooks on Italy, try Lonely Planet or Rough Guides for specific travel info.

Good luck
Kay
Old Jul 29th, 2007, 06:32 AM
ira

Hi W,

Buy your ES* to Salerno online.

Buy your ferry ticket at the docks.

For Ferry schedules Positano – Amalfi - Salerno (P.zza della Concordia):
See http://tinyurl.com/3cbhkb

To get a student discount, you have to buy a student card. It wouldn't save you any money for just one trip.

Select the Amica fare - Standard if you expect to miss your train.

Old Jul 30th, 2007, 02:38 AM

HI WA - Train/ferry via Salerno (- using ES train) will cost approx € 35.

An alternative budget option is the Rome-Positano bus service (- operator: Marozzi).

Fare: € 20
(€ 34.50 round-trip)

Dep Rome 07.00 (- Roma Tiburtina station)
Arr. Positano 11.30 approx

http://www.marozzivt.it/

Hope this helps ...

Steve