Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for feedback on www.holiday-rentals.co.uk

Old Jul 29th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we are currently considering renting a number of villas which we found through www.holiday-rentals.co.uk. It is a bit scary since most owners don't take a credit card so they require a wire transfer and typically expect to get a full payment about a month in advance, plus deposit.

If there is someone who has booked villas in the past in such a way and can comment on how safe this is, I would greatly appreciate your advice.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 12:32 AM

LOts of people on this forum have rented,and there are many threads discussing what to look for.

Basically, holiday rentals is not an agency, it is an advertising medium for people wanting to list their properties. It is one of the earliest and largest sites, and has a good reputation, but they can't monitor all the people advertising with them.

As someone who manages properties in France, I would suggest that you ask for references for the place you stay. Make sure you have a contract stating exactly what is included, what the owners commitment is regarding things like return of damage deposit, cancellation, etc.

Anywhere you stay will almost certainly ask for full payment before arrival. And since many of us are very small businesses, we don't take credit cards - some have Paypal.

But the vast majority of us are honest, helpful, knowledgeable about the area, and happy to share that knowledge.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 01:09 AM

Whilst I haven't used Holiday-rentals I have booked holiday homes in this way. It is quite normal to pay the full amount before you go, just as you would for a package holiday. Only once, on La Palma, did I not pay a penny until I arrived - and then I had to practically force the cash onto the owner! I have never yet been ripped off or disappointed by any place I have rented through similar sites and agencies.
My next holiday, in Scotland was booked on the strength of an ad in the paper, the website of the cottage and e-mailing the owner. I have paid in full for that over 6 weeks in advance and am confident everything will be fine.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 01:33 AM

We have used holiday-rentals.co.uk three times (villa in Portugal, apartment in Villefranche -sur - mer and earlier this month an apartment in Antibes) and have not had a problem at all. Once you contact the owner or contact person on the accommodation's information site, then you deal directly with them either by email or phone. The only thing we were a bit hesitant about with the recent rental was sending in the security deposit (one weeks's rental cost) prior to our arrival and walk through. We called the owner and he assured us that if there is any existing damage to the apartment we could point it out to his rep who will meet us at the apartment. He also assured us that we would receive the security deposit in our own account within ten days of our check out date and we did.

Only once did we feel uncomfortable with the person we spoke to. They raised the price from what was on the website and promised the renovations and pool were completed on a villa we were interested in renting. We decided against it and good thing we did since we actually saw the villa while we were driving from Menton to Monte Carlo and it was still being renovated and the pool was unfinished.

So, we have found the process safe.

Good luck!
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 02:50 AM

I can understand your caution. My main advice to to contact the owners of the properties you are interested in. You will be able to get a "feeling" on whether you feel comfortable to go ahead and book with them.

At the moment I have reserved a property through holidaylettings.co.uk - similar to the rentals website (I looked at properties through both). I asked the owners lots of questions before I booked - they were very helpful and quick to to respond so I felt very comfortable booking with them. I have paid an initial deposit, will make a further payment a few months before arrival, and pay the balance on arrival. I was able to pay this by cheque since the owners have a UK bank account.

However I have rented properties before using wire transfer. I actually paid the full amount upfront months before (to avoid the associated fees with making multiple transfers - one for the deposit, one for the balance etc).

Obviously there is an element of risk associated but I have been booking properties directly through owners for years (I actually avoid agencies if I can) and I have never had anything go wrong. But I always make sure I speak/e-mail with owner before putting any money down.