Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome to Florence and Pisa- by air or train?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 10:40 AM
andi

I'm going on a hiking trip to Tuscany in May and will be spending a few days on my own in Rome before joining the group, which meets in the evening in Florence. How long does it take to get to Florence by train, and how much does it cost, vs. flying? Can I get tickets when I get to Rome or would I be well-advised to buy them here in advance? The trip ends in Pisa and I have to get back to Rome from there, so the same questions apply. Thanks.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 10:49 AM
Eye Spy

Take the train by all means. Try the Eurostar 'pendolino' which will get you to Florence non-stop in about 1.5 hours. Log onto www.trenitalia.com Just purchase your ticket once you get to Italy -- there really is no need to purchase it beforehand although many Fodorites will advise you to. I never have, and the Italians obviously don't. Flying would be much more expensive. At least with the train, you arrive right in the center of Florence at Santa Maria Novella. You can check out the trains from Pisa to Rome as well but you probably would have to change in Florence Santa Maria Novella.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 10:49 AM
Rex

I almost always advise considering flights for trips others would not expect in Europe - - but not Rome-Florence. You can be in Florence in 95 minutes, less time than it would take to get from central Rome to seated on an airplane headed to anywhere.<BR><BR>From Pisa, under the very best of circumstances, a flight might compare with the train service, connecting through florence - - though it would surely be more expensive. Train schedules and fares at www.trenitalia.com<BR><BR>And if you want to check out some lower cost fares within Italy try www.opodo.com or www.europebyair.com (best if you reside in the US).<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 12:13 PM
kismetchimera

From Pisa to florence by train it will take perphas 1:15 minutes.. The train leaves Pisa every 40 or 50 minutes.. Check Trenitalia for schedules and price.. Have Fun

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 12:48 PM
Tess

Andi,<BR><BR>As others suggest, the train is your best option traveling from Rome to Florence. Quick &amp; easy trip on the Eurostar; purchase your tix once you get to Italy. As for the end of your trip, it really depends on how much time you have and what you're willing to pay. The only direct Pisa-Rome routes (NOT having to change trains in Florence) are on the InterCity trains and take 3 hrs, 16 minutes. However if you need to make a close connection for your flight out of Rome, then it may be better to look into flights between Pisa-Rome. Not sure what is cost for airfare; in most circumstances it's cheaper to take the train when traveling within Italy.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:32 PM
upping

up up up<BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:12 AM
Alice Twain

Afaik there are only four Pisa-Rome flights (check it out, though) and they are not competitive with trains. The overall time need for the flight (including check in time and all) isn't much lower than the overall time needed for reaching Rome by train, but the price is be far highier.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:40 AM
Chet

Hi Andi;<BR><BR>I concur with most of the other posters: Rome to Florence by train is your best bet. However, consider another alternative for your return from Pisa: Book your flight as an &quot;open jaw&quot;; fly into Rome and return from Pisa. Fare not much more than a straight round trip to Rome. This will save you the hassel of getting from downtown Rome to Fumincino airport if you take the train. Depending on where in the U.S. you are starting from, your return from Pisa may not even go through Rome. Good luck, Chet.