Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome to Chianti -- where to pick up car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2023, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All. We're returning to Italy in Spring. We're debating the best place to pick up a rental car which we will use in Tuscany and return in Ravenna. (Our last rental car experience was challenging when we returned a car in Florence with one-way streets.) We're starting in Rome after several day there, so we won't be at the airport. Should we train farther north and then pick up the car? Or simply rent in Rome? We intend to drop off the car in Ravenna. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Dec 26th, 2023, 08:07 AM
J62

I'd use Rome Termini station or take a train to Orvieto which is about 1hr ride.
Old Dec 26th, 2023, 10:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You'd likely have a one-way car rental surcharge. You might want to investigate that amount and which rental companies will accommodate that combination of cities.

Another pick-up option is Chiusi. A bit longer train ride from Termini, but closer to "Tuscany." Also, I think there are more rental companies with offices in Chiusi than in Orvieto.

Where is your Tuscan destination?
Old Dec 26th, 2023, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

We're headed to Greve in Chianti. Thanks for the ideas.
Old Dec 26th, 2023, 05:13 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
**Also, I think there are more rental companies with offices in Chiusi than in Orvieto.**

Last time I returned a car in Orvieto, there were only 2 rental agencies. One of them (Hertz franchise) had so many complaints that AutoEurope quit using them. YMMV

You could take the train to Siena and pick up a car near the train station (I've used the Hertz location there which is a company owned location, not a franchise), but to get to Siena, it requires a change of trains in Chiusi-Chianciano. So it's probably just as easy to pick up there although Siena puts you closer to Greve (on the scenic 222). The Hertz location I used in Siena was within walking distance of the train station.

FYI - Picking up/returning in any small towns will need flexibility. Many will shut down several hours in the afternoon for lunch, only open a half day Saturday and close on Sunday.

It's probably just as easy to take a fast train from Rome to Florence, catch the airport tram and pick up the car at the Florence airport. That way you avoid ZTL and driving in the city. The airport rental locations are open more hours.
Old Dec 27th, 2023, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all these great ideas! The fast train to Florence, then the tram to airport sounds like it would address our issue of avoiding city centre driving. Looks like the tram is a more recent addition. Also, given that we are doing a one-way rental, a larger starting city (Florence) provides that option. I noticed during my car search that some of the smaller towns wouldn't allow a drop off in Ravenna. Appreciate your insights.
Old Dec 27th, 2023, 08:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Where are you going after Ravenna? There would probably be a convenient drop-off option after Ravenna.

FWIW, I would find the day more pleasant overall taking the train to Chiusi to pick up the car, driving through Val d'Orcia and then north to Greve. I admit I avoid airports like the plague.
Old Dec 27th, 2023, 08:53 AM

When we were in this situation, also staying in Greve, we took the train from Rome to Arezzo and picked up the rental car there. As I remember the rental place was across the street from the train station.
Old Dec 27th, 2023, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Jean,
We’re heading to Venice by train after Ravenna. So it’s our best place to ditch the car.