Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pick up Car in Pisa drive to Rental in Chianti, best/scenic route?

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Jill

We arrive in Pisa late Friday, we'll spend the night at the Grand Duomo hotel, we plan on seeing a bit of Pisa in the a.m. We are scheduled to pick un car rental at 11:00 am then a leisurely drive to our farmhouse rental in Chianti. We are staying at a working vineyard, Le Miccine, between Radda and Gaiole. We would love suggestions on a leisurely scenic drive from Pisa to our destination of Chianti (arrive around 5:00 pm). We are thinking maybe heading south to Livorno and then over, is this reasonable? At the end of our trip we are spending 2 days in Lucca, so I'd like to save touring North for then. Any other suggestions? <BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Jill

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Wayne

From Pisa, head east on the main highway and turn south after about 10 miles to Ponsacco, then continue south to visit Volterra, then slightly east and north to San Gimignano. From San G, head east to Poggibonsi, then on eastward to Castellina in Chianti, then Radda in Chianti, and on to your rental. This route couldn't be improved for the quality and quantity of the sights you will see in one day.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 10:16 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

I concur---S-68 thru Volterra is the best way to see Tuscany enroute.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 04:51 AM
Jill

Thanks again for the info. I think we're planning to take the route you suggested. One question, how long of a drive can we expect fro Pisa to Volterra? I realize we will make a stop or two before that destination but just curious on time.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Jill

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 06:37 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Direct, an hour max.

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 02:33 PM
toppee

toppee

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Jim

Agree with above posters, just did this trip in reverse and it is beautiful. Wish I didn't have to drive so damn fast to keep out of the way of other Italian drivers. Pulled over as often as I could just to gape with my mouth wide open. One suggestion tho, get a really good map, not "Streetwise" IMHO, and be aware that most roads don't have frequent number signs, just signs pointing to the next town. Plan your route carefully. I would go so far as to list the names of the towns sequentially on the route. Still got lost a lot!

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 07:21 AM
Jack

Jill--<BR><BR> Since you don't relate where else you may be going during your envious visit to Tuscano, permit me to throw an alternative opinion into the mix, for your consideration:<BR><BR> Visit MapQuest.com and then check out Driving Directions, Europe, Italy, and get yourself directions as suggested by others here, AND, then also route yourself from Pisa towards Florence exiting somewhere such as Impruneta and then pick up the S222 through the heart of central Chianti. The S222-- or Chiantigiana-- is one of the most scenic routes imaginable and a tremendous way to approach your farmhouse.<BR> While the route from Volterra IS indeed lovely, it can get somewhat tiring, esp. if you plan on visiting Volterra and San Gimignano later in the week. It may only be an inch on your map, but it will feel like a roller coaster ride eastward once you cross the autostrada. <BR> Also, you may be tired, still jet-lagged, etc., and depending on when you stop for lunch, this too may figure into your state of alertness.<BR> By all means, I do hope you intend to visit Volterra and San Gimignano, as well as Siena, etc., during your stay in Chianti. BUT you may also find yourselves eager to get to "your" casa, get the lay of the land, unpack, hit the local grocery and enoteca for supplies for the house, decide where to go for dinner, dip in the pool, etc.<BR> BTW, Pisa to Volterra is 39 miles, Volterra to Gaiole is about 45. Total driving time, wihout stops or getting lost, is about 3 hours. <BR><BR> Remember, much of this is country roads, not super highway. And you want to drive slowly, so you can see it, regardless of your route!!!!

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Jill

Jack and others,<BR><BR>Thank you for all the helpful suggestions. As of today we think we will go through Volterra and San Gimignano, but as Jack mentioned it is definitely wise to have an alternate route in mind. I can hardly stand it, 2 days to go. Now if I could only get my packing started!