Rome to Amalfi Coast

Search

Rome to Amalfi Coast

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome to Amalfi Coast

My wife and I will be arriving into Rome around 9:00 a.m. and then heading to the Amalfi Coast where we will spend four to five days. We will be taking the train from Rome to Naples (EuroStar). I am trying to decide a few things beyond that:

1. Straight to Sorrento or stop in Naples? There is plenty that we want to see in Naples...perhaps a day's worth. Should we stay over night in Naples after getting off the train or head right to Sorrento and then double back to Naples later?

2. Regardless of #1 above, we are leaning toward taking one of the hydrofoil ferries from Naples to Sorrento. It sounds fun and much more pleasant (cleaner, safer) than the Circumvesuviana. If we do this, what is the best way to get from Centrale in Naples to the ferry launch? Walk? Cab? Bus?

Any other insight is appreciated.
Old Feb 4th, 2006, 04:56 PM

Hi md,

Just go straight to Sorrento and back to Naples later.

There is no reason to take the hydrofoil. It will be a bigger inconvience and take longer than just hopping on the Circumvesuviana for Sorrento.

When your ES train arrives in Naples, get your Circumvesuviana ticket upstairs, then go follow the highly visible signs for the Circumvesuviana. It's easy. I've ridden it several times, the last on a solo trip, and never felt the least bit uncomfortable.

If you take the aliscafi (hydrofoil) you will have to take a bus or cab to the marina, then get the aliscafi. I don't think it would be worth it. Also, the hydrofoil is NOT fun in rough water. You'll see the views of Vesuvius and the Bay of Naples from Sorrento anyway.

Buon viaggio!
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 04:18 AM

Md - Hydrofoils are not that frequent between Naples and Sorrento.

If I were you I'd go by train, then use the hydrofoil for a day-trip from Sorrento back to Naples when you don't have luggage in tow.

Steve
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 04:47 AM

Note that Sorrento is not on the Amalfi Coast.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 01:06 PM

mdtravel -

I responded to a series of questions you posed on another thread about buying train tickets, a thread that was 8 months old. I noticed, upon clicking on your name, that you've done quite a bit of that. A word of advice - you may not get responses to questions you ask when attached to very old threads - some Fodorites won't scroll down on a thread when they see how old it is.

Hope you see this! I'd suggest getting the information you need by using the search function on the bulletin board. If you don't get the information you need that way, ask your question in a new thread. BTW, there are a couple of threads that contain MUCH information about traveling in Italy - I think Ira started the first, not sure about the follow-on thread.

Hope this helps.

KC