Staying in Naples V.s Sorrento

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan to have 3 days in the Naples area (Feb17-20). I was wondering if there are any opinions whether I should use Naples or Sorrento as a spring board to see the area..ie Pompeii, Amalfi. I understand Naples can be congested and nosy. If I stayed in Sorrento, it seems like I could do Naples as a side trip.

Any suggestion are greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 09:46 AM

Might depend on your personality - I have stayed in Sorrento, not Naples, but in the late spring. I would think Sorrento in Feb. would be really quiet. I assume the Circumvnesia rail would still be running as it is mainly a communter train - that would take you easily to Pompei. Then you go by bus down the coast, not sure how frequently the bus will be running at that time of year. So if you want quiet and great views, chose Sorrento. If you want to dive deep into S. Italy, thnik Naples.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 09:54 AM

Yes, that's true. Personally I would stay in Naples. Sorrento is middle-aged, middle-class and stuffy. Naples is edgy, vibrant and feels like the real south of Italy. Both are good centres for getting to Pompeii on the train. You can get buses down the Amalfi coast from both too. I did all this in January 2 years ago and everything was functioning normally.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Pausanias

Naples. It's a destination in itself, yet offers easy access to the sights you want to see. Sorrento on the other hand . . . well, there are folks who love Sorrento because . . . oh, I don't know. Stayed there once, but I woke up eventually . . .

Old Jan 24th, 2006, 12:17 PM

Oh, I think people like Sorrento because of the views across the Bay of Naples and the fact that it's very convenient to Pompei, Herculaneum, Vesuvius, Naples, Capri, and the towns on the Amalfi Coast. And the town of Sorrento itself is really just fine. Not Ravello or Amalfi, but just fine.

But it'll be February. Stay in Naples.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:39 PM

I spent one night in Naples and five in Sorrento, and I'd agree with those recommending Naples, so long as you can tolerate a little urban grit mixed with vibrant city life, museums,etc.(I lived in Philadelphia for 12 years and loved it.) But if the sight of an occasional rat scuttling into a gutter ruins your stay, I think you'd prefer Sorrento.