Rome-Sorrento-Pompeii

Search

Rome-Sorrento-Pompeii

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome-Sorrento-Pompeii

I have read a great deal of advice about taking the train Rome-Pompeii. A question: Would it work to take early train Rome/Naples. Taxi to port Then Naples-water transportation to Sorrento. Sorrento back to Pompeii (2 hours or so). Then train Pompeii to Naples/Rome?
Thanks!
I know it would be a long day. My husband wants to go to Pompeii. I want to experience the beautiful coast.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 08:54 PM

You're not going to see the most beautiful part of the coast that way.

I would suggest you pack a very good picnic lunch in Roma and take the early train to Napoli and head straight to Pompeii. After Pompeii, take the train to Sorrento. (It's now 3pm) Take a bus to Positano, have an early dinner with a view and watch the sunset. Take a bus back to Sorrento, train to Napoli, switch to Roma.

There is a marvelous pizza place off the Piazaa Navonna called Lo Zozzone. It's open 23 hours a day. You could pick up a good sized lunch the day before you leave for Naples/Pompeii and keep it in your minibar. Take LOTS of water with you to Pompeii.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, nessundorma
Sounds like you know the area well. Any suggestions for dinner with a view?
Is it easy to get the bus from train station?
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 01:42 AM

TNC - I think I'd do it the other way round and plan lunch in Positano rather than dinner - otherwise you'll be home after midnight. I'd drop Sorrento from your itinerary ...

You could get an early train to Naples and catch the 09.55 hydrofoil direct to Positano.

www.metrodelmare.com
(1 hr. €9.00)

After an early lunch you could get to Pompeii by public transport (- or taxi) by 3p.m.
The public transport option is:

- bus from Positano to META station, then
- Circumvesuviana train to POMPEII SCAVI.

From Pompeii you can return to Rome by train via Naples.

Alternatively there's is a direct Pompeii-Roma Tiburtina bus which leaves late afternoon.
www.marozzivt.it

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 04:07 AM

Steve,

Unless tncricket is going in the peak heat of summer, it's a good idea to reverse the plan, but there's no real lunch to be had in a restaurant that would end by 1pm. But a cafe with views would work. (I still recommend packing that picnic.)

And if the weather is the 90s or 100s, it still might be beset to go to Pompeii in the morning.

How early would tncricket have to leave Roma in order to catch that 9:55 hydrofoil in Naples allowing for a taxi ride to the port?

tncricket,

If you decide to stay for dinner, I really can't recommend a restaurant but I'm sure others can. State your budget.

If you follow Steve's plan, and do Pompeii in the afternoon, you might consider having dinner in Napoli. There really is no food in Pompeii. Near the train station in Napoli, there is the restaurant Mimi Alla Ferrovia. Fair warning: The area of the train station is one of the seediest, dirtiest and most visibly depressing in Napoli. Apart from pickpockets, it is not dangerous, but tourists find it unnerving. If you want to go the restaurant, the food is good, look them up on the website and get a good map.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 10:51 AM

PS: Some trains from Napoli to Roma serve hot meals. They are not Italy's finest meals and they are overpriced, but if you are starving, it's kind of fun to sit down to a plate of spaghetti on a train.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 11:33 AM

I will just add this, although I have not eaten there. Il Principe, Piazza B. Longo, 8 is reportedly a wonderful, elegant restaurant right outside the archeological zone in Pompeii. If you want further information, I will try to find it and post. I believe they are closed Mondays.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 11:40 AM

We had dinner at 3 restaurants in Positano. The best was Hotel Palazzo Murat. Expensive but really amazing food (the cheese ravioli with tomato pepper sauce was soooo good). We spent about $180 for a 4 course dinner plus a bottle of wine.

We also ate at Cafe Positano (they have nice out door seating with a good view from high on the hill) and Ristorante La Pergola (which is right on the beach). I had gnocchi at both that was good. I think we spent about 80-90 euros for a 4 course dinner with wine.

The Sorrento train station is the same place you catch the bus to Positano. We tried to get a ferry to Positano but had no luck, so we took the bus. If you can, you might think about staying over night on the Amalfi coast so you can enjoy Pompeii and the coast without killing yourself in one day. Or another option, if you are willing to splurge, would be a driver to pick you up in Naples and drive you to all these various destinations. Much easier than public transporation and a big time saver.
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

We are going in August.
I understand heat. Not that I like it. I am thinking that will shorten our time in Pompeii.

We are staying near Rome's Termini and could take the 6:45 or 7:25. Do I want Napoli Campi Fleg or Centrale?
Old Jul 14th, 2006, 12:18 PM

You really do have a logistical problem in August not just because of the heat but because of the crowds. Everybody is going to be battling to get on the ferries and buses on the Amalfi, and the Amalfi drive will be bumper to bumper.

This might be a plan --- although other people I hope will come back and offer corrections if needed:

Pack some food and water and take the 7:25 train to Napoli Centrale and then catch the train to Pompeii, which should get you there shortly after Pompeii opens (10am). When you are done with Pompeii, take the train to Salerno.

In Salerno either take the bus up the ccast to Positano, or take a ferry. (I'm not an expert on which ferries leave Salerno).

If you have time, stop in one of the Amalfi towns for a meal or cocktail. Otherwise, just keep riding the bus, enjoying the views, until you get to Sorrento and can get back on the train to Roma.

I'm worried that the plan that has you going to Positano or the Amalfi Drive first will leave you stuck there in traffic until it is way too late to go to Pompeii. Catching the Amalfi coast at sunset is great. Pompeii in a hot hurry is not.

Is there really no way you can spend a night in the area?

Old Jul 14th, 2006, 08:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Tncricket, following Nessundorma's last suggestion, I would recommend you use the ferries rather than the buses to travel along the AC.

If you take the bus, when you get to Sorrento you would either train to the Naples train station or go to the ferry dock (probably by taxi to save time and because you'll be tired by then), ferry to Naples Beverello, then taxi to the train station. On top of that, the buses will be crowded, you'll have to stand in line to get a seat, and it will be hot.

For logistical contrast, go to www.metrodelmare.com and check the schedules for the red and light green routes. You can ferry from Salerno to Positano, see the town and have a meal, then take another ferry to Naples Beverello (last one leaves at 6:30 pm, arrives 8:00 pm), taxi to the train station and head back to Rome. You won't see the other AC towns on foot and you'll miss Sorrento entirely, but you'll have beautiful views of them from the water.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 01:00 AM

I still don't think sunset in Positano works - unless you stay the night.

Public transport from Positano stops quite early - and you would still have a 4 hr journey back to Rome. Not ideal IMO.

Personally I wouldn't try to do more than Positano & Pompeii. Trying to include Amalfi via Salerno - whether by ferry or bus - adds hours without any great benefit IMO.

If you prefer Pompeii in the morning rather than afternoon a logistically hassle-free and inexpensive alternative might be to return from Positano to Rome by bus. It leaves Positano about 16.15.

www.marozzivt.it

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 04:26 AM

Here is an article from NY Times that might help you with Pompeii; the restaurant information in within.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...55C0A9649C8B63
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 10:58 AM

Looking at Steve's information, I agree that going to Positano early in the morning appears to be the safest if you need to get back to Roma that night. But I would leave Positano by noon in order to give your husband his share of seeing Pompei. And I'd make a reservation for that Pompeii restaurant, and be sure you've doublechecked the times of your return train connections.

I agree there is no point in trying to see the Amalfi. I'm just wondering if, once in Positano, it might not be fastest to head toward Salerno by boat to catch the train from there to Pompeii.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 11:38 AM

www.enjoyrome.com/vastours/naples.html

If you decide it is too much to navigate you could take the day tour with enjoyrome and let them figure out the logistics.

Last year or was it this year, we took the early train from Rome to Naples, a friend met us, took us to Sorrento then Positano for lunch and then back to Naples for the train to Rome.

It was a long excellent day and we got back to Rome late evening. You could have a driver meet you in Naples, drop you in Pompeii, then take you on the coast and double back through the mountains to Naples. Or Pompeii last.

Why don't you contact some of the noted drivers and work something out? They do it all the time year in and year out.