how to get from Naples to Pompeii

Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

how to get from Naples to Pompeii

I am new to this site, and I sure hope you can help me. Seven of us are traveling to Italy in May, by cruise. When we get to Naples, I have found how to get to Capri and Sorrento, and, I look forward to the funicular and hydrofoil, but, is there an easy way to get to Pompeii? I do not want to do an excursion if I do not have to. Thanks for any advice... Mary
Feb 23rd, 2008, 11:52 AM

From Sorrento take the circumvisuviana. I do not think i spelled it correctly but it runs between Sorrento and Naples and stops as Pompeii. Emily and i have taken this train twice. The last time we got off the train from Rome went to this train station and heard the dreded word "strike". Knowing Italy we asked how long was the strike and he said till noon. We then took a bus to Herculeum visited there till noon, walked up the hill to the station and took the train to Pompii and Sorrento. visit our site emilyandjim.info for our agenda.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:03 PM

Is your cruise docking at Naples or Sorrento?

If Naples, take taxis to the main train station. (There is a bus to the train station if you're adventurous.) Then take the Circumvesuviana commuter train about 30 minutes to Pompeii.

If Sorrento, there's a small city bus that runs from the dock to the train station or you can take taxis. Then take the Circumvesuviana commuter train about 30 minutes to Pompeii.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 12:04 PM

Be sure to get off at the Pompeii Scavi stop, not Pompeii. When you exit the train station turn right and walk about 50 yards to the entrance to the ruins.
Mar 1st, 2008, 03:57 AM

bookmark