Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome or anywhere: How many pics do you take?

Apr 26th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Ok..so here's a silly question...
About how many pics on average do you take when traveling....to Italy...to anywhere...just abroad!
Our cam has enough for about 200 pics...that's with a week in Rome and another in NY! I don't know how that sounds..since I might go camera happy! lol
Have you noticed how many you take?

TIA,

Samantha

PS....only 5 more days!! Yay!
Apr 26th, 2007, 02:00 PM

It is a reasonable question if you lack experience in this area. In the old days of print film I planned on a roll (36 exp) a day plus an extra roll or two per week. I don't count with digital but probably at least double that and then some. BUT, each evening I run through the pictures for that day and sometimes will delete half the pictures. Digital allows for more flexibility and I tempted to take potentially margin pictures. Something I would not have done with film.
Apr 26th, 2007, 02:02 PM

I exceed 500 for 10 days, 700 for 2 weeks. And that is normal for us!
Apr 26th, 2007, 02:06 PM

Depends on how big a picture taker you are. In two weeks, I'd probably take between 400-500, but I take a lot and I don't delete at the end of the day. If in doubt, try taking some extra memory. You might not have to buy it, my friends and I often loan each other memory cards when one of us is travelling. Just make sure you borrow the right type of card. Another option if you find you're running out of memory is to find a store which will burn your pictures onto a CD or DVD. That type of service is available in camera stores, drug stores etc. I'm sure it won't be hard to find a place in either NY or Rome. It's also a good way of backing up your photos.
Apr 26th, 2007, 02:22 PM

For me depends on what I am doing that day and where I am. At the high end of the spectrum I have taken over 500 in a day - whereas at the low end of the spectrum I have taken about 10.
Apr 26th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Pausanias

When you get to New York go down to B&H Photo at 420 9th Avenue (at W34th St) and buy a new memory card. You'll get a good price -- and the store itself is a bit of a destination. They close Friday afternoon and Saturday but are open Sunday.