Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

language barrier - french/english, key phrases

Apr 24th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

There are so many good responses to some threads I have been reading and I am learning a lot for my first time abroad to Alsace Lorraine. So for this greenhorn from Texas what are some key phrases I should be able to use to "sorta" overcome the language barrier, being that I do not speak french (and no I do not know much spanish or texmex). Thanks for the help.
Apr 24th, 2007, 10:00 PM
rex

Well, here's a free starting point: http://www.fodors.com/language

And I'm an extremist, but I believe that your trip will be SO enhanced if you make a committed effort to acquire a base grasp of French that goes beyond a few phrases. I read elsewhere that you are going in June/July. That's more than 50 days away. 10 words a day is a realistic goal. You can do it. Today would be a good day to start.

Best wishes,

Rex
Apr 24th, 2007, 10:22 PM

The nmost inmportant phrase of all:

Bonjour...ou se trouve la toilette? Every thing else can take time....

(vin rouge, vin blac, coca, coca light, une biere are all very timportant too as well as s'il vous plaint (please), merci (thank you), bonjour (hello) and the famous parlez-vous l'anglais (do you speak English).

Apr 24th, 2007, 10:27 PM

Great link, Rex. I liked the Instant Immersion language sets.

Sometimes your local community college teachers also give private language lessons.
Apr 24th, 2007, 11:27 PM

xyz I didn't see your post, but I would say my favorite thing to stumble through in French quickly became "un pain au chocolat, sil vous plait."

(which is a chocolate croissant, warmed and very good for breakfast)
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:43 AM

This one has some less common, but sometimes quite useful, phrases.

http://www.zompist.com/phrases.html
Apr 25th, 2007, 04:48 AM

Any good travel book will have the 50 words. The difficulty is to get the assurance and timbre correct. For example on entering a shop you should great every one so

"Hi every one" is wrong
"Madames, Messieurs" or "Bonjour M at M" needs to be muttered firmly but not aggresivley as you join the queue. WHile Bonjour madame or m'mselle as you great the staff who is serving you is the next step" Smiling is good but it needs to be the real thing. Finally i suggest slow down, unless you are in Macdonalds, there is no rush.
Apr 25th, 2007, 07:03 AM

The one comment I would add is that the "politeness factor" has to be increased compared to N.A.

Every shop and restaurant, when you walk in you say "Bonjour" (during day) or "Bonsoir" (at night), "s'il vous plait" (please) and "merci" (thank you) for any request, and "au revoir" or "merci" or "bonsoir" when leaving an establishment. Acknowledge on way in, acknowledge on way out.

If you get these right, you're on your way.

Also note that restauarants will post their menus outside, so you will have a chance to decide and analyze before going in.

Hope this helps,

Mike
Apr 26th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions.