Search

Keeping track of photos

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keeping track of photos

Hello.
Does anybody know of a good program for a Palm OS PDA to keep track of photos you've taken?
I have a new digital camera and storage device and plan on taking lots of pictures on my upcoming trip. I used to just write them down in a little notebook but since I'm taking my PDA, I was hoping to use that.

I guess I could use the memo or daily journal function, but I was wondering if anybody knew of something better.
Thanks everybody

Old Apr 12th, 2005, 09:57 PM

mowmow, what exactly is it that you want to keep track of? The digital camera automatically stores a lot of information about each photo, like the date it was taken. So if you keep track of your basic itinerary, you'll know where you shot photos and presumably, what they are.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Original Poster

I'll be downloading the pictures from the card to a little hard drive storage device; plan to do that each evening.

I'm not sure if the information about the photo will be imbedded in the file or not. I'm a little new to digital photography.

Some pictures will be pretty obvious as to what they are, but some days I'll be visiting places that are kind of similar and I need to keep them all straight and might want to make notes. I like to take landscape photos, too, and I find it helpful to write down just where I took the picture, and makes notes about lighting, etc.

One trip I took pics of some statues and paintings in a couple museums and then couldn't remember exactly who the artist was, which Roman the statue was, etc. Annoying. That's when I started the notebook. It works fine, but I'm taking my PDA to keep track of all my other stuff and want to lose the notebook.
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 10:42 PM

mowmow,

Just to add a small bit to one of your questions:

Yes, almost every digital stores technical information in the header of the file (Exif information). It's good for recalling Fstop, speed, exposure, etc. Useless though to remember those other little details.
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 09:02 AM

mowmow, when you download your pics, the info will stay with them. As far as I know, there isn't any way to accidentally or on purpose get rid of the info. It's there for good. So you don't have to worry about that.

Here's another tip. If there is an informational sign, take a shot of it. That way you will know who the artist was, the name of the statue, whatever. Just another advantage of digital -- no worries about running out of film.

Sorry I can't help with the PDA software. Have you tried googling it? Or maybe one of the photo talk forums?
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 09:42 AM

Do you have Excel? I'd just make notes (if I did that). I like the idea of the picture of an informational sign.