Rome - one night stand

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Rome - one night stand

Ok, so now that I have your attention
We are arriving in Rome and need a place to stay that is nice, but not expensive, and is near the train station.

Next morning we are headed south and don't want to waste a lot of time in Rome. We will try to see Rome in a day (!) but I really just want to be close enough to escape.

Any suggestions?
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 11:55 AM
rex

Some will criticize me for offfering you a counter-opinion - - instead of answering your question - - but let me just say that a hotel in the Centro Storico would be all of an 8-10 euro cab ride from Termini, as opposed to 3-4 euro (or a several block walk, depending on your choice) for some place closer.

Money well spent, in my opinion - - in fact, made all the more true by your only having the one 24 hour stay in the Eternal City.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 12:26 PM

Rex offers good advice as usual, but I will offer a hotel suggestion near Termini--I have not stayed there but it has been recommended by several sources:
www.hotelromae.com
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 12:31 PM
SRS

I don't know your budget (and without a good deal, I sense it might be pricey), but we stayed at Boscolo Hotel Excedra. Wonderful place on the Piazza della Repubblica. Good luck!
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 12:55 PM
Intrepid

The Hotel Muscagni is also close to Termini but do not know if it is within your price range. You can probably look at it on Venere.com or on Discounthotels. I think they also have a web site.

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I probably should have been more specific. We don't want to spend a lot for our 1 or 2 nights in Rome (once upon the return). Any nice 3 star hotels? I want to leave Italy with great memories of my honeymoon!
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 05:33 PM

You'll have to more specific still. "We don't want to spend a lot..." We have no idea how much is a lot to you.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 08:37 PM

I think if you let us know your budget it would really help to determine where you'll be able to stay. From what I'm reading the hotels around Termini station are the cheapest although it's 20-30 mins. walk to the Spanish Steps and Piazza Navona areas. Also the Termini area isn't really scenic and depending on where you stay it's kind of not so great. Generally the streets south of Termini are not as good as the ones going north. However, I read the area is alot better nowadays than in previous years.

A bit further north of Termini there are reasonable hotels also. This is around Pza. della Republicca.

In these areas you can find hotels for alot less than 200 euro/night especially in July and August.

There is only one reasonable hotel I read about that is on Via Margutta which is really close to the Spanish Steps. It's called Hotel Forte and their rates are really cheap during July and August with a/c and breakfast included. I believe it's 200+ during other months however.

I agree with Rex that if you only have a couple of days in Rome that it would be nicer to be near the popular sights (Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, Pantheon) and it's probably worth it to spend a bit more for a hotel close by so you don't spend time & money on cabs or wasting time walking.

Old Aug 14th, 2003, 04:07 AM

Try Mecenate Palace, about 5 blocks south of Termimi. Check out the reviews on this site. I'm staying there in Oct, so cant give you a first hand until then. We got a double for 180e/night. Best of luck, Mary
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! All very good suggestions. I was hoping to spend less than 150 E for this interim stop.