Rome, Naples, Ravello and Ischia

Old Aug 8th, 2021, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome, Naples, Ravello and Ischia

Am thinking of this trip for next year and wondering if anyone has any recommendations in terms of the order of travel. Will likely have about 8 days or so. Thanks all.
Old Aug 8th, 2021, 09:22 AM

Do you plan to see any of the Amalfi Coast besides Ravello?
Positano, Amalfi? From Naples, do you plan on Pompeii, Herculaneum, etc.?

If eight days is your total, including travel time, there is not time to include Ischia.

If you can get tickets into Rome and out of Naples or visa-versa, that would be great, straightforward from start to finish.

If not, if you can fly in and out of Naples, that airport is right at the edge of the city and less travel time getting to it. You will have to travel Rome to Naples and return or Naples to land in Rome and return, so that distance is the same.

Either way, whichever place you will be departing from, put time there at the end so you are in the city of departure the night before and not staying twice in the same place. If you land And depart from Rome, go on immediately to Naples. Go to Rome last. If you land and depart from Naples, go immediately to Rome, put Naples last.
Old Aug 8th, 2021, 11:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with Sassafrass, Mikster - unless you have a specific purpose in wanting to go to all 4 places, 8 days [is that 8 full days ie 9 nights, or fewer?] is far too short a time to see Rome, Naples, Ravello and Ischia. You will spend as much time travelling as you will actually seeing things. I would suggest picking Rome and Naples, or Naples and Ravenna, [IMO Ischia is too much of an outlier for 8 days] or even just Rome or Naples and doing day trips from whichever you choose. Or just go to Ischia.
Old Aug 8th, 2021, 02:06 PM

I agree with others that you are best to be in your departure city the night before travel so the order is greatly influenced by that. Although possible to visit all four places in the time you have available, I think you'd have a better time if you stuck to three (or preferably fewer). Personally, as your focus seems to be the Naples area I'd drop Rome. Alternatively, I'd choose between Ravello and Ischia.

But if you really want to stay at all four places, then I'd order them Rome - Ravello - Ischia - Naples or vice versa depending on your flights. Most of these journeys will take at least a half day so check the logistics before committing. Rome - Naples - Salerno - Amalfi - Ravello. Ravello - Amalfi - Salerno - Naples - Naples port - Ischia (or Ravello - Amalfi - Sorrento - Ischia if available).
Old Aug 9th, 2021, 09:13 PM

You could fly into Rome, settle and spend a day or two sightseeing, then take the train to Salerno and a taxi to Ravello. Look at Casa di Vania and La Dolce Vita for lodging. You can take the big air-conditioned SITA buses down to Amalfi, take a taxi, or hike. From Amalfi you can get just about anywhere along the AC by ferry or bus. I agree that Ischia may be too ambitious.

I would fly out of Naples. Look at Piazza Bellini apartments near the Archeological museum to stay the night or nights before departure.

If you don't know it, check out the rome2rio site for transportation info --
Old Aug 12th, 2021, 07:33 AM

I agree that Rome might be an obstacle to a smooth trip unless perhaps you flew into Naples and out of Rome. Our daughter joined us a few years ago for 6 nights in Naples/Amalfi and Ischia. She joined us for our last three days in Ischia (flew into Naples, took the bus to the pier, ferry to Ischia). Fortunately, we had a couple days on Ischia before she arrived, and it helped us focus on giving her the highlights in a brief time. We then ferried over to Sorrento, our base for seeing Capri and Amalfi coast. You could easily do Ravello instead. We headed to Rome by rail from Sorrento/Naples and our daughter flew out of Naples. It was a great trip for all of us. So, perhaps you could do 3 nights Ischia, 3 nights Ravello and 2 nights Rome and see a little of each.
Old Aug 25th, 2021, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the very helpful feedback. On a separate note our flight from Rome to Catania for next year was cancelled as I guess Alitalia is going out if business. Any thoughts on alternative options. I think some other airline may take over but not yet. Thanks.
Old Aug 25th, 2021, 09:37 PM

I believe Ryanair operates regular service Rome to Catania, at least during season. ITA is replacing Alitalia and taking over about half their planes and half their routes. They haven't announced future schedules yet.

Last edited by whitehall; Aug 25th, 2021 at 09:53 PM.
Old Aug 27th, 2021, 05:24 AM

When I first start travelling to Italy 16 years ago they were talking about Alitalia going out of business , I haven’t used them since then 🌻🇦🇺
Old Sep 28th, 2021, 10:16 PM

Ravello is my favorite city on the Amalfi Coast. I missed Concerto all 'alba ... the concert started at 4 in the morning ...
Old Sep 29th, 2021, 08:03 AM

On Ischia, long uphill walk from Forio town, eat at Da Pepina di Renato..tell him erica send you and have the rabbit.
Old Sep 29th, 2021, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by mikster
Am thinking of this trip for next year and wondering if anyone has any recommendations in terms of the order of travel. Will likely have about 8 days or so. Thanks all.
How long did you want to spend in Rome and Naples? Being the biggest, I assume you have some idea what you intend to do there. Two nights per place seems a crime, but I'd not want to expend the effort to get to Ravello or Ischia for just a night. Which one can go?
Old Oct 6th, 2021, 10:48 AM

Ravello can go....but you need more time than one night on Ischia......one issue is where to stay on the island.
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 11:28 AM

We have decided to just do Ravello and Rome and will do Naples and Ischia next year. It sounds like our best bet is taking the train from Rome to Salerno and then get to Ravello from there but if anyone has done this, please let me know. other options to reach Ravello. I don't want to drive the coast. Did that once a few years ago and never again!
Old Apr 9th, 2022, 09:19 AM

Naples offers a little more traditional Italian life. Narrower streets, more fun and friendly people, delicious food and more. I spent 2 months in Naples in 2016 and had a lot of fun. There are many places to visit in the vicinity such as Caserta, Pompeii, the island of Capri.
Old Apr 10th, 2022, 10:40 AM

In a week, I might try Naples and Ischia....Ravello is gorgeous and you maybe could do a daytrip from the mainland, returning into Ischia by nightfall. The trick about Ischia is to really research and get away from the tourist crowns. This is difficult but you can do it easilly. Remember the place I recommended up above. I would either go to Amalfi Coast (in this case try to include Cetara) and stray south to Paestum, OR to Naples and Ischia. If flying into Rome, you could choose to spend a night there, but I would leave this city for a separate trip. Lots of day trips from NAples, indluding the cheese farms, the ruins of Paestum and others, etc etc.

My visit to the Tenuta Vannulo Water Buffalo Farm, near Paestum

Not sure if this has pasted, but yyou need to call ahead and book a time. There are other caseficious (sp) nearby so if you stay in the area, the hotel personnel can set you up with one of lesseer fame and less tourists. Try to explore the Cilento as best you can..in summer there is a ferry from Naples. YOur scope is very wide..try to leave Rome for its own trip, same maybe with others on your list.....one day we will meet! I have not been able to travel since safari inn Zimbabwe in 2019...as we say in USA, chomping at the bit! Bestg of luck to you and family....

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Apr 10th, 2022 at 10:50 AM.
Old Apr 10th, 2022, 10:45 AM

Old Apr 10th, 2022, 10:53 AM

I am unable to post this about Vannulo..who knows why..will try once more and if I still fail.look at my trip reports undeer that headiing:

Old Apr 11th, 2022, 04:39 AM

Thank you so much. I will check Tenuta for sure. We are now doing Rome and Ravello this September and will do Naples and Ischia next June. If any recommendations on hotel in Ischia or Naples would love to have those. I guess Ischia budget could be around $400 a night and more if necessary as that will be a bit of a special trip for us. Would like to keep Naples hotel a bit less if possible. Not sure how far ahead Ischia hotels book for around June or July. Thanks all.
Old Apr 11th, 2022, 04:40 AM

I sure wlll Erica!