Rome Itinerary and Nights

Mar 18th, 2018, 12:55 AM
Original Poster

Rome Itinerary and Nights

Off to Rome again in 6 weeks, so doing a bit of planning. I've been a few times, my friend has not been before but doesn't have any particular 'musts' and is happy to leave it to me. I feel duty-bound to visit some of the big sights but not all of them as I want to see different places. We are there Thursday to Sunday. My plan thus far is:

Thursday
- Arrive at apartment (Corso d'Italia by Borghese gardens) at about 1.30
- Go for a quick lunch
- Galleria Borghese 3-5 (I've booked this)
- Walk through the park to the Spanish steps, stopping off to see Via Margutta briefly (just because I've never been - I know there's nothing there really)
- Walk 10 min to Ara Pacis
- Walk 15 min to the Trevi fountain
- Find somewhere for dinner and walk back home, stopping at a bar or two on the way
(Never seen Ara Pacis or Via Margutta)

Friday
- I have booked us into the Vatican Museums skip the line at 10.30, we will take a taxi there
- See the museums, have a packed lunch in the pinecone courtyard and visit the Sistine Chapel
- Hopefully at 1 or 2 pm we can pop unnoticed through the tour-guides door into the Piazza, if not it will be a 15 min hike round the walls
- Visit St Peters Bascilica (I'd love to climb up to the Cupola again but don't think my old creaky knees will let me)
- If we have any energy and time left, visit Castel st Angelo
- Even if not, wander past St Angelo to the river, then over to the Pantheon and Piazza Navona
- If the Pantheon is open, pop in there
- Dinner around Panthon / Navona and taxi home
(nothing new here)

Saturday
- If we want to do our own things today, we can do that, or stay together
- If we did not get to see the Pantheon on Friday, visit there first
- Wander down to the Jewish Ghetto for street food lunch
- Cross over and spend the afternoon and evening exploring Trastevere - Santa Maria, Santa Cecilia, the bars and backstreets, Aqua Paolo fountain and Gianicolo
(Ive not yet been to Jewish Ghetto or Trastevere - popped to Santa Maria church briefly and went for a pizza, a few years ago)

Sunday
- We do not leave for the airport until 6pm, would prefer to be at the Terravision stop at Termini for 5.30 at the latest
- Drop bags at Termini for 11 and catch up on anything above that we've not had time to do

How does that sound as a schedule? Would anyone recommend anything else - I know we are missing ALL of ancient Rome, feel bad about that but I've been to Colloseum and Forum twice and Terme di Carcalla once...

Any good bars, restaurants, enoteca's or churches with artwork that anyone can recommend, or anything I've not included that you would?
Mar 18th, 2018, 04:58 AM

Sunday is a good day for Trajan's Market. It's never crowded (IME), has views of most of ancient Rome, and a very nice small and modern museum. It will give your friend just a taste of ancient Rome.
In the Ghetto, I'm not so sure about actual street food. Minchilli has the name of an excellent gelateria and bakery, but I think you should pop into a restaurant, just for fried artichokes and zucchini flowers. No need for an elaborate meal, just order these. Then gelato and bakery!
Mar 18th, 2018, 07:54 AM

I like Tuscan's suggestion. I was going to say you should at least walk by the Colloseum for a view of the ancient sites. I remember my first unexpected sight of the Colloseum was a huge "WOW" moment. We were staying in the EUR area, took a tram toward the Centro and started walking. We didn't really know exactly where we were, turned a corner, and WOW!
Mar 18th, 2018, 02:24 PM

Via Margutta is one of the prettiest streets in Rome with an artistic and cultural history of its own. It’s a street where I always spend some time when visiting Rome because of its beauty, it’s significance and Osteria Margutta serves a great carbonara. At 110 the famous Italian film director Fredrico Fellini of La Dolce Vita fame lived, look out for the plaque. No 51 was the location for Gregory Pecks apartment in the film Roman Holiday. Opposite is Osteria Margutta used in Woody Allen’s film on Rome and of course it’s carbonara as mentioned. At No.33 Breakfast at Tiffany’s author Truman Capote lived and is said to have written some of the book there. Picasso had a studio on via Margutta, Stravinsky and Wagner also spent some time there, it’s mentioned in Ariverdecci Roma and Roman Holiday. So you see it’s a very famous street and my very favourite street in the Eternal City.
Mar 18th, 2018, 03:06 PM

The Pamphilli Palace at via del Corso 305 is easy to find, often overlooked, never crowded and is a gem. Behind the palace is Cafe Doria the most gorgeous small cafe in Rome. If you are fond of an Aperol Spritz the garden of Hotel de Russia is hard to beat and for sensational views and Negronis the terrace of Ill Palazzo at the top of the Spanish Steps is excellent. Need I say it is owned by the Hassler.
Mar 19th, 2018, 02:27 AM

bear in mind the kosher places in the ghetto, which happen to be the best places, are closed on saturdays. also agree with others that it is not a particularly street foody area.
Mar 19th, 2018, 03:07 AM

I suppose it's too late now, but since you'll be visiting the Vatican Museums on a Friday, I would have strongly advised the night visit, available only on Friday evenings from the 20th of April through the 26th of October. During the day, the Vatican Museums are crowded beyond belief, and beyond my ability to appreciate anything I'm seeing. Last summer, we took a Friday night visit with my granddaughter, and it was a real pleasure compared to all of my previous daytime visits,

My granddaughter's favorite part of the Museums was not the Sistine Chapel, but the Egyptian Collection. She said, "I could spend two weeks here!"

If you go to Trajan's Market, do visit the Via Biberatica, a stretch of original Roman street, still lined with the original shop fronts. It's outdoors, but only accessible from within the museum.

Search this Thread