2nd Visit to Rome

Search

2nd Visit to Rome

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Visit to Rome

On our first trip to Rome, we saw St. Peter's, the Vatican Museum, forum, and colloseum, but we didn't have time for much else. Anyone have some off-the-beaten path or other favorite sites that we shouldn't miss the second time around? We'll be there 2 nights, and want to feel less like tourists, more like travellers.
Any advice is appreciated! Thank you! We'll be there 2 nights, and want to feel less like tourists, more like travellers.
Any advice is appreciated! Thank you!
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:07 AM
jgg

Well, with only two nights you might just want to spend time wandering, sitting in cafes, just soaking up things. Maybe visiting some areas like Trastevere. However, a personal highlight of Rome for us was the Catacombs. About a 20 minute taxi ride from the city.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:21 AM

You don't mention if you've seen the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and Pantheon. If you didn't get time for them in your first trip do see them this time round.

To feel more like travellers walk and take the buses. Just wandering around gives you much more of a feel for a place. If you pass a church, no matter how small and insignificant it looks from the street - go in, because it may well be stunning inside. Go to see The Ecstasy of St Theresa. Sorry I can't tell you what church it she/it is in because I have loaned my guidebook out!

I found the Palazzo Barberini an amazing museum/art gallery. I think it is only open in the evenings. If you get there at the right time there is an extra tour of the private family apartments. The painted ceilings were so lovely I got a stiff neck, and the paintings on the walls were superb. There was a Holbein portrait of Henry VIII which was awesome - the way the silk undershirt was tweaked through the velvet doublet and the gold braid criss-crossing the velvet - it looked so REAL! And I saw my first el Greco's there.... together with numerous depictions of Judith and Holofernes - it was interesting to see the variations on a theme by different artists. I enjoyed the Palazzo Barberini more than the Vatican Museums, and hope nobody slates me for saying that!

You can walk Rome searching for the bees (the signature of the Barberinis
architect I think, but I may well be wrong about that, apologies if so, as I said I've no guidebook right now to refer to). Also there's the Mouth of Truth, the Elephant, the catacombs, the Cat Sanctuary, plus terrific shopping if that interest you. The Borghese Gardens, more churches and monuments....

Have a great trip, I envy you going back....
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 10:28 AM

Hi Dina,

I would highly recommend the Galleria Borghese and the Pantheon. I also thought the Piazza Navona was the most beautiful piazza, even though it is jammed with people and junk vendors. The fountains and buildings are beautiful.

Wander around see the fountains, and as the other poster above mentioned, the Borghese Gardens are very nice.

Buon viaggio!
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 07:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with Dayle. Plus just soaking up the ambiance around the Pantheon/Piazza Navona is way beyond cool. Have a great trip.

MY
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 07:33 PM

My disclaimer is that I copied this from myself-a post I replied to along the same lines some time ago.

A visit to Rome for me would not be complete without going to Campo dei Fiori and having a slice of pizza, going to see the cats at Largo Argentina, seeing the Pantheon first thing in the morning, with the light flooding through the center of the dome, and wandering into Santa Maria sopra Minerva and seeing the frescoes by Lippi.

Take the bus up to Santa Maria della Vittoria to see the Ecstasy of St. Theresa-it is amazing. Have lunch at Trattoria Monti -they are so friendly there, and lunch is relaxed and filled with locals. Have lots and lots of cappucino in the morning at Tazza d'Oro, near the Pantheon; make sure you have enough room in your suitcase to bring back a bag of their beans. Go to Obika, a mozzarella bar that will blow your mind.

I would not go to Rome without having dinner at one of my favorite restaurants, Myosotis. They have a great wine list. And even though it is a bit out of the way, I take a taxi to Checchino dal 1887 for the best meal in Rome.

Visit Castel Sant'Angelo, and at dusk, walk across the Ponte Sant'Angelo and experience Bernini's ten sculptures of angels as they are lit up. This is a must.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 07:43 PM

Caravaggio! San Luigi and Santa Maria del Popolo. If you plot a course between the two churches, you will not only see great art but a great slice of Rome.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. We've been to the Pantheon (but not first thing in the am) and Piazza Navona (can't wait to go back), but thanks for all the other GREAT suggestions. I really appreciate your thoughtful responses.