Search

Rome Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome Itinerary

Looking for advice on the best itinerary to use for a week in Rome. Which sites are the best to see early in the trip. Would I be able to get in on a tour while there? Thank You.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 08:12 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
It would help to know your interests. Museums? Parks? There are many tour companies in Rome. Scale Reale, Enjoy Rome etc.

Check out the Rome portion of this website www.twenj.net and you will get an overview of Rome and how to visit sights and travel around.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 04:18 AM
kr

Here is some suggestions

See the Pantheon. Head north, take quick peek in La Maddalena Church.
Turn right towards Piazza Montecitori. Pass Gilitti and Parliament to Piazza
Colonna. See Column of Marcus Aurelius. Walk south past Temple of Hadrian.
Stop in Sant' Ignazio di Loyola Curch. Head south to Piazza Collegio Romano.
Head west to Piazza Minerva. See Santa Maria sopra Minerva Church.
Finally wind your way west to Piazza Navona.

Day X
Walk east on Via Seminario to main street of Via del Corso. Head south to
Piazza Venezia. See Victor Emanuelle II Monument. Head southwest to steps
to Piazza Campodoglio (2nd steps). Walk up to Piazza to see statue of
Marcus Aurelius. Leave Piazza at bottom left corner past Wolf statue down to Forum.
Enter Forum by Arch of Septimus Severus. Walk around but continue south past
Arch of Titus. On your right is entrance to Palantine Hill where there are the ruins
of the emperors' palaces. Continue past the arch down
the Via Sacra to the Colosseum. Head north along Via dei Foro Imperali passing
smaller forums and Trajan's column. View Trajan's Markets

Day X
See Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel. Walk around
Vatican walls to St. Peter's. Visit church and square. Exit Vatican City via main street
heading east (Via del Conciliazione). Walk to Castel San Angelo. Cross Tiber River
on Ponte San Angelo through small streets to Piazza Navona.

Day X
Walk east on Via dei Pastini crossing Via Del Corso. Continue east of Via Delle Muratte to
Trevi Fountain. Optional: head southeast to presidential palace at Piazza del Quirinale.
Head west nack to Via del Corsi. Walk north (shopping) to Via Condotti. Make right
and walk to Spanish Steps. Walk up to top of steps.
Take Metro (Spagna stop) to Flaminio. See Piazza del Popolo. Optional: walk up to
Villa Borghese.

Day X
Head southwest to largo Argentina. Head west to Campo de Fiori (market in the morning).
Head east to Piazza Mattei (Turtle Fountain). Head southeast through Jewish Quarter.
See Portica d'Ottavia, Theater of Marcellus. Head south on main road towards small
Republican temples and Santa Maria in Cosmedin (see Bocca Del Verite). Walk behind
church to view Circus Maximus. Backtrack along river to view Tiber Island.

Optional trips
Catacombs (just outside Rome)
Ostia
Hadrian's Villa & Villa d'Este
Baths of Caracalla (in Rome)
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 04:21 AM
ira

Hi j,

Have you looked at the miniguide to Rome at www.fodors.com?
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 04:26 AM

kr, you are my kind of traveler. Somebody asks for advice and you give it in spades. Keep going - you are on a wonderful roll!
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 04:38 AM
Chatters

what do you like? a "best itinerary" often relates to time of the year; when are are you going? what don't you like? do you like guided visits? is extensive walking a problem? do you have a car? Is the Vatican a must for you; if yes, how much time you'll like to spend in the Vatican? are you willing to use the train? where are you staying? Old Rome? are children in the group? are you in your 20'? are you in your 60's?

If historical sightseeing is your thing, obviously Rome is heaven for you and recommend you head out the Roman Forum and Colosseum first. Yes there are on the spot tours; many people think is worth spending extra and making reservations with specialized tour walks such as Scala Reale, your call. For the Colosseum, strongly recommend a guided visit for many reasons; they make the ticket line for you (huge lines!), they explained what you are seeing and "not seeing" (things that are easy to miss, unless you looked at them thru the "trained eye&quot. Have fun!

A great guidebook is "Rome; The City" by Kindersley.

Old Jun 19th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who replied to my message on a Rome itinerary. My main interests are museums, famous/historical landmarks, and the vatican. My trip is scheduled for late June so the time is near for good advice. A special thanks to KR...thanks for the detailed information...I was 100% amazed at how much you provided. Please keep the posts coming; this is great.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 09:41 AM

Strange and unusual stuff in Rome:

Crypt of the Cappuccini Monks, in Santa Maria della Concezione
The crypt ceiling and walls are elaborately decorated with the bones of 4,000 monks. Trust us: this is not to be missed. Via Veneto, 27 - 20m up from Piazza Barberini. Admission by donation (€ 0.51 - € 1.03 suggested). 9am-noon/3pm-6pm. Closed Thurs. Metro Line A: Barberini or bus 492 or 62 to Piazza Barberini.

Santa Maria dell'Orazione e Morte
An 18th century church richly embellished with images of death, skulls, and skeletons. Via Giulia, right behind Palazzo Farnese. Open 6pm Sunday for mass. Bus 116 to Via Giulia or 23 to Ponte Sisto.

Museo delle Anime dei Defunti
This may be the weirdest museum in Rome, devoted to the souls of the dead trapped in purgatory who keep leaving messages for the living. (!) Inside the church of Sacro Cuore del Suffragio, Lungotevere Prati, 12. Free. 7:30am-11am (10am in the summer)/5pm-7:30pm. Bus 492 to Piazza Cavour.

Santa Maria Sopra Minerva
Here lies the body of St. Catherine. After her death, it was separated from her head, which remained in Siena, the town where she was born. Piazza della Minerva, near the Pantheon (look for the elephant obelisk outside the church). 7am-7pm. Bus 40 Express or 64 to Largo Argentina, or 116 to the Pantheon.

Sant'Agnese in Agone
Look for the door marked "Sacra Testa di Sant'Agnese" inside this Borromini architectural gem. Little Agnes was decapitated in the stadium of Domitian (now Piazza Navona) in the 4th century and her head has been here for centuries as a relic. (The rest of her body is several miles away at the church of Sant'Agnese Fuori le Mura on the Via Nomentana.) Piazza Navona. Bus 40 Express or 64 to Largo Argentina, or 492, 81, or 87 to Corso Rinascimento.

Santa Cecilia in Trastevere
You know, some martyrs had it worse than others: first they tried to suffocate little Cecilia in the hot steam room of her own baths, then when that didn't work they tried to chop off her head, but after three strokes of the ax they could not completely sever her head from her body. She managed to stay alive for three more days, all the while singing hymns to the glory of God--one reason why she is now the patron saint of music! Go up to the altar and check out the marble statue of Cecilia's body as it was found in 1599, complete with scars from the failed decapitation attempt. Bus 23 to Ponte Cestio, then a short walk west through the small streets of Trastevere.

Old Jun 19th, 2004, 11:10 AM

I've written a Julius Caesar assassination walk that takes you to the actual sites and events that transpired from the night before the assassination to the funeral 3 days later.
It's too long to post (~14pages) so if you (or anyone else) would like a copy e-mail me. Put ROME in the Subject Line so I don't discard it with all the spam. Regards, Walter
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:33 AM
minnie17

Hello..
"degas" suggested the Crypt of the Cappuccini Monks...that site is now closed,and will remain so for the forseeable future.
minnie.

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 08:43 AM

Come to think of it, I did hear a loud crash after I pulled that shinbone out of the bottom of the pile. Good thing I just kept walking after making a quick exit.