Rome Hotels: Nazionale A Montecitorio vs. Portoghesi

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have decided to go back to Italy for our 1st wedding anniversary next May. We intend to go to Rome and Pienza. And I am now searching for hotel in Rome.

I found the Daphne Inn Veneto attractive but realized that it's not in the best location. I also emailed the Albergo Del Senato but was quoted a very high price. And the Albergo Cesari is fully booked for our period.

Now two hotels that are in good location and are available are the Nazionale A Montecitorio Hotel and the Portoghesi. We can afford a standard double room at the Nazionale A Montecitorio Hotel or a junior suite in Portoghesi.

Can you share your opinions about these two hotels? I understand that they are both convenient located. What is important to us is that the room is very clean, bright and hopefully not too small.

Thanks.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 10:37 AM

Have you checked out the reviews on tripadvisor.com? That's a good place to look if no one chimes in here.

You might also consider a hotel which I thought looked great when we rented an apartment near it, the Ponte Sisto. Also has great reviews on here and tripadvisor. I just really likes the area - between Camp de Fiori and Trastevere.

On the map I thought Portoghesi looked like a slightly better area than Nazionale, but having been to neither of them I'm really not sure.

Good luck!
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 11:48 AM

I have not stayed at either, but I agree with Wliwl that the Portoghesi is probably a better location. Also, according to one of my guidebooks, breakfast is served on a rooftop terrace, which could be nice.

Finally, I read years and years ago - I think it was in "Travel & Leisure" - that, if you have a choice to make between two hotels, choose the one with one star less to get the better room.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 05:16 AM

My daughter and I stayed at the Nazionale a Montecitorio last Jan. It is in an excellent location in walking distance of major sights except maybe the Vatican. The Pantheon is a very short walk away. Large rooms and a very good breakfast. The staff there very helpful making restaurant reservations for us and calling taxis. The Italian parliament building is in the square across from the hotel. There was a free tour through the buildng which we took and was interesting.
The only thing I would do differently as far as the room is stay on an upper floor. We could sometimes hear people talking outside,but it was really not a problem.
I would definitely stay there again.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!

wliwl, I have checked tripadvisor, as well as venere, in addition to this forum. I also looked at the Ponte Sisto but am not sure if it is as centrally located.

Eloise, thanks for sharing that tip you read. It makes some sense and I will think about it.

maryanne1, what kind of room did you stay? Was that a standard or something else? I read some negative reviews about the rooms being dated and dirty, so, I am a bit concerned. Is there anything else I should pay attention to if I book this hotel?

Please keep your suggestions coming.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 03:48 AM

Ponte Sisto has had some positive reviews here, but I think it's pricier than Portoghesi. The location - near Campo de Fiori - is good.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 03:57 AM

We loved the Hotel Portoghesi. The hotel sparkles. The standard rooms are small but very well equipped and attractively decorated. The furniture is traditional and there are some antiques in the hallways. The junior suites are larger and, I believe, the bathrooms have a tub and shower combination. The standard rooms have a shower only.

The rooftop terrace is charming and the breakfast a cold continental one. The one off note was the orange juice, served from a large dispenser and it wasn't very tasty. From the terrace, you don't have broad vistas but some lovely views of the neighborhood, including the handsome Portoghesi Church next door. There is a little piazza nearby with a bakery, enoteca, tobacco shop, and prepared food shop. The Pantheon is closeby as are several restaurants, including L'Orso 80.

I would - and have - happily returned to the Portoghesi.

Suzy Kane, http://www.idyllicitaly.com
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:36 AM

In Answer to your question I found a special deal on the internet for the Nazionale a Montecitorio-stay 2 nights get the 3rd free in Jan. We stayed in a double room(large by European standards-even a sitting area- which did have the older. antique furniture,but not dirty or dated. We found the location perfect. Gelatos around the corner. We mainly got taxis in the morning and went to an area of the city we wanted to explore, but there are buses stops very close. This hotel is walkable to many sights.
The hotel is located where there is no traffic in the square which we liked.
I cannot compare it to the Portoghesi as I have not stayed there,but we were very satisfied with the hotel.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for your contribution.

I looked at the Ponte Sisto and got a quotation from the hotel. Unfortunately, it is over our budget.

I am still trying to decide. If anyone else has any other ideas, especially if anyone has stayed in the junior suite of Portoghesi, I would love to know some details.

Thanks again.