Rome Hotels

Sep 5th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Buzzy

Rome Hotels

I want to try and book a last minute trip for 2 for Rome from 19th October for 5 days.

I have trawled through lots of web sites and am going cross eyed trying to work out what to do for the best. I thought if I tell you want I want someone out there might be able to help me.

I'd like to say in an area where there is a nice square and lots of pavement cafe's and restaurants. My husband is very keen on spending lots of time at The Vatican so I'd like to be able to walk there from the hotel. I'd also like to be able to walk to thr Trevi fountain if possible. Has anyone got any suggestions for a hotel? I'm looking for a homely place which doesn't make me feel uncomfortable.

Sep 5th, 2007, 07:26 AM

Sept/Oct is high season in Rome. Many places will not even have a room open. Try Venere.com, you can search by map veiw and then sort by price or customer rating.
Sep 5th, 2007, 07:26 AM

Try the San Carlo or Casa Howard.
Sep 5th, 2007, 07:32 AM

You might want to look into staying in Trastevere (across the river) in a B&B. I've heard great things about Arco De Lauro (but they were booked when we went). We stayed at the B&B San Cosimato and that was nice.
When you look at the map of Rome everything looks very far, but you can really walk everywhere...and that's the best way to find those great hidden little spots!

One tip about the Vatican - go EARLY! My husband and I got up very early, walked to a cafe for our cappucino, then walked to the Vatican. If you want climb to the top of St. Peter's dome this is the best time. We were the only ones up there and had the view all to ourselves. It's a very cramped (and hot) climb, and I could see it being very clausterphobic with a bunch of people.
We then got into the line for the Sistine Chapel 45 minutes before it opened...and we were already about a mile back in line (and this was in mid september)
Sep 5th, 2007, 08:07 AM

The line for the Vatican museums are like that all year round..it was like that in January also
Sep 5th, 2007, 08:13 AM

You might try the Genio, located at the edge of Piazza Navona, which is lined with restaurants and shops--people-watching at its best.

We had five rooms there a few years ago (2002, I think) and they varied in size, so ask for a larger room.

The rooftop terrace is very nice.

http://www.leonardihotels.com/Genio/index.jsp

Have a wonderful Roman holiday.

Byrd