Search

Rome Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome Hotels

I am travelling to Rome in early October and trying to decide between these two hotels: St Regis and the Hassler(on top of the Spanish steps)

Does anyone have any experience with either of these properties?
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 09:58 AM

The Hassler has been one of the top hotels in Rome for decades, however the other day I went to the Spanish Steps, and was totally disgusted....I guess its location it is not so cool now.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Out of curiosity, what disgusted you about the steps Graziella?
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:49 AM

Frankly I it was packed with people, garbage, people sitting, laying on the floor, people eating, having snaks, it was also dirty, very dirty, I do not want to sound like and elitist and say I do not like people because I do. THe fact that disgusted me is that it was very hard to me to go up the stairs, and that it was impossible to enjoy the beauty of the Spanish Steps. I recall the steps filled with azaleas, flower vendors, other salesmen perhaps, photographers snapping pictures of visitors, and all kinds of people happy to be there, at the botton of the steps I also recall
some kind of a crowd,strolling and taking advantage of the sun if any. But this time ,I was disgusted for the magnitud of the crowd, the filth on the ground,...it is hard to explain the difference. May be it is only that times have changed...and that I recall the past as better times. What I meant to say is that if years ago staying at the Hassler meant to be near the beautiful Spanish steps, maybe they are not so attractive these days. At least not to me. Once on Via Condotti I thought it was fine as before.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:51 AM

Hasn't it been THE gathering place for such activities for at least the last 50+ years? I know, I know it's older than that.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 11:33 AM

The steps only have flowers on them around Easter. We think the hotel to stay at is the Hotel De Russie just a 5 minute walk from the spanish steps at Piazza de Popolo. Check out their web site, we have stayed there the past few years and its really great! Beautiful garden, wonderful service and perfect restaurant.
Old Jun 12th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Original Poster

bump
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips folks, I am going to check out the Hotel De Russie as well.
Old Jun 13th, 2007, 09:07 AM

plastictraveller, My husband and I stayed at the St. Regis this past Feb/March.

The hotel is very grand, the rooms were very nice, and it seemed that the service was good.

Before we went to the St. Regis, we had stayed for two nights at the Residenza Canali (around the corner from the Piazza Navona), and we prefer the Residenza Canali to the St. Regis. The St. Regis is MUCH fancier, but it seems a little over-the-top for me, and I prefer the location of the Piazza Navona.

Can't help you with the Hassler, but the area around the Spanish Steps seems fine to me. It's very lively near there with lots of shops.
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 06:13 AM

Plastictraveller,

I visited both the Hassler and the De Russie in July. The Hassler is much nicer - the rooms are fresher and more carefully decorated. The De Russie is about to undero an extensive floor by floor renovation, and it was looking a little tired. The garden is lovely at the De Russie but if you are going in October, the renovations will not be complete. I did love the top hats on the doormen!
The Hassler is very classy and lovely. Every room is differently decorated and perfect. I saw about 10 rooms while I was there. The best view of Rome in the world (better than the Gianicolo hill) is from the terrace on the top floor.
I would opt for a Grand Deluxe room with a private terrace.

Cheers,

Ellen C.
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 06:32 AM

piggy backing on this posting. Would like a recommendation for a moderately priced hotel near Termini station. Any recommendations gratefully received. We will have just one afternoon and evening in Rome before flying home. hence proximity to station so we can take train to aeroporto Fiumicino. Thanks
Old Sep 5th, 2007, 07:01 AM

or you can take a 30 minute cab ride to the airport from the city center for only 40 euro..no hassling with luggage on the train.