Rome Hotel with GOOD AC?

Aug 1st, 2007, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Rome Hotel with GOOD AC?

I do know that many hotels in Rome have AC. I've also read about many that only turn it on at night, or at certain times of the year, and not before or after. Or ones that have especially weak AC.

So here is my question: I'm looking for a budget hotel, not over 170 Euro, in the center, (I would go toward Quirinale/Barberini; Piazza del Popolo; Trinita del Monte, the Ghetto, and possibly Trastevere, if I had to, but prefer the usual Navona/Pantheon/Parliament areas) with good AC at the beginning of May.

Can anyone make suggestions? I've searched and researched,and have lots of other criteria, but this question is about AC.
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:45 AM

Do you really, really need GOOD AC at the beginning of May?

Here's what Weather Underground says about May 1 to 15 in Rome:

The Average High Temperature is 72 F with a historical range of 60 F to 84 F.

The Average Low Temperature is 53 F with a historical range of 42 F to 62 F.

There is a 0% chance of a Hot Day (temperature over 90F / 32C).
Aug 1st, 2007, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Ah Zerlina, if it is over 75, I am roasting. If it were 80 and I had no air, I couldn't enjoy myself. I am having serious internal heating issues, and it sometimes literally makes me sick.

Because of health problems,I don't get much sleep as it is. I would so like to go into the trip knowing that I could rely on the AC at least for some sleep and some comfort when dressing.

I have been kind of living it up in Rome for several years, staying in pretty nice places, with plenty of AC. But with the hotelflation (borrowing a great word from tomassocroccante) and health problems, I don't think I can stay on my budget in any of my old spots. So, my AC question.

Aug 1st, 2007, 11:56 AM

What you need is a hotel with separate AC in each room that can be conrolled IN the room. Anything with central AC will not be enough to make you happy - and they may well turn it off at night. And, in May, it might not yet be on for the year.

If no one knows of such (I don;t in that price range) you will have to contact the possible hotels directly and ask about the AC.
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:04 PM

tuscanlifeedit - I can't help you, but I feel your pain. What's with the limiting of the hours that the a/c works? It drove me nuts on our last visit. When you come back from a day of standing around in the boiling sun at the Forum you justy want to cool down fast but the a/c isn't turned on until after dark. How stupid is that? I'd be willing to pay an hotelkeeper an extra 10-15 Euro per night if he'd just let me regulate the temp in my room. And it's not just Italy that does that. The Greeks and Spaniards are just as miserly. I guess the wiseguys on here will now advise us to go in the winter.
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:05 PM

It's painful to hear 170 Euros per night as a budget hotel figure, but I know you are right about that.

I don't know if this suggestion would help, but it's worth investigating. Hotwire often has the Intercontinental for a budget price (relatively speaking). Maybe you could investigate whether the Intercontinental would meet your needs for A/C. If so, you could proceed with that option, if you were fortunate enough for Hotwire to feature the IC on your dates.

I like Hotel Julia of course (based on my one stay in winter), but I did read a recent review from someone praising its A/C. I'm not sure if they would have it on in early May, or if it's central or room-controlled.

Alternatively, what about one of the large chain hotels available in the west of Rome? They are outside your preferred area for sure, and would necessitate some travel changes, but they might be best in terms of A/C.
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:08 PM

One of the things I liked about my stay at Nicolas Inn (www.nicolasinn.com) was that we controlled the temp in the room, not them. We had it so cold the first night we woke up freezing. The owners are an Italian-American couple. The American half knew the importance of AC. But it is a B&B, not a hotel if that matters to you.
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Because of the hugely escalating prices, I think I would do a B&B. In the past, I always preferred hotels, but it seems that there are more B&Bs in Italy these days, and I am not adverse to staying in one.

I don't want to stay to the west of Rome. I would skimp in some other area of the trip. This whole AC thing, combined with the skyrocketing hotel prices, just stinks.

I could probably switch to April if award tickets are available, but May is a better month for us.

I have looked at Nicolas Inn before, and I will keep my eye on Hotwire. I am not familiar with the Intercontinental, but I'll look it up.

Thanks.
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:54 PM

Hi tuscan,

Hotel Oceania is located in the Via Firenze area (not super central but still walkable to all sights and pretty close to the Quirinale). We've stayed there in 2004, 2005, and 2007. There is a small elevator, free internet access, and a decent breakfast included. The disadvantages are the location (it is uber-safe, but a very long walk to Trastavere) and the hordes of Rick Steves tourists in the peak months. I find RS books very useful at times, but regret to say that the most obnoxious tourists I've encountered in Rome carry his book almost without fail. The advantages are the price (highest rate is 148€ for a double), the AC which works very well, the elevator, and the helpful staff.
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:55 PM

P.S. There are mini refrigerators in every room which might be helpful for cool drinks, medications, etc.
Aug 1st, 2007, 01:06 PM

We stayed at Residenza Zanardelli last June. It is very close to Navona and has individually controlled a.c.,and I kept our room freezing. There are only seven rooms I believe,and some are very small. It's worth checking out due to excellant location and a.c.
Aug 1st, 2007, 01:29 PM

We stayed at the Arco del Lauro B&B in Tratevere and loved it. Air conditioners (and heaters) in the room, fantastic location in the southern part of Trastevere (5 minute walk to Largo Argentina, a major bus stop and 10 minutes walk to campo d fiore)

This past May we paid 125E for a double. I imagine her prices have gone up some but still well within your price range. The rooms are smallish and plain but spotlessly clean, comfortable, there is internet access and a fridge and the owner is a total delight to deal with. http://www.arcodellauro.it/eng/index.htm
Aug 1st, 2007, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

These responses have been very helpful.

I am leaning toward Arco del Lauro or Nicolas Inn. They both have such great reviews. Any other ideas?
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:14 PM

This is another Rick Steve's suggestion in your price range and close to the area you want. They charge extra (10E) for AC. You can e-mail and make sure you will be able to use it in May. I suspect it's not a problem since there is an extra cost.
http://www.hotelitaliaroma.it/prices.htm