Search

Rome hotel- Stendhal or Albergo Del Senato

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome hotel- Stendhal or Albergo Del Senato

Hi everyone,
I've read reviews from venere.com, fodors, and tripadvisor, and I'm deciding between these two hotels. We'll be staying for 3 nights and want to do as much as possible in the time we will be there. The price difference is a total of $300 overall (Del Senato being more). Can you please let me know what you think? Everyone seems to love the Del Senato, but the Stendhal looks really nice too, and a little further, or close to the fountain. Which location and hotel would you prefer?? thanks!!!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 12:19 PM

The Stendhal is close to the Spanish Steps and Piazza Barberini - not the best location.

The Del Senato location is MUCH better, hence the price difference.

If the price is too high, there are other hotels in the charming historic center (the areas around Piazza Navona, Pantheon, and Campo dei Fiori). One possibility is the Hotel Ponte Sisto.
http://www.hotelpontesisto.it/web/

If you can afford the Albergo Del Senato, you can't find a btter location.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 12:24 PM

I don't know the Stendhal so I don't know which fountain you're talking about. If it's the Trevi, I wouldn't want to stay in that area.

Have you checked out the Senato's webcam? It's a great view.

One of the reasons people love the Senato so much (I've stayed 3 times) is that the atmosphere and decor is so soothing. Rome is a rather bustling place, and after you've spend all day marching your feet off, it just feels great to come back to a place so comfortable.

Also, the Pantheon (or Piazza della Rotonda) is really an excellent starting point for doing most of your touristing on foot. Last but not least, stepping out the hotel's front door into the piazza with this astonishing building right in front of you -- plus lingering into the evening over a drink in the piazza, with your hotel only a few steps away, is really a lovely way to be in Rome.

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your quick responses and advice. Do you think $400 a night for the Del Senato is a good price? Their rates on their website isn't really working. Also if the Hotel Ponte Sisto is $300 a night, do you think its that much more worth it for the Del Senato at $400??

Thank you so much! I'm booking this last minute (end of march!!!) so all your advice is greatly appreciated!!

Also for Venice we are staying at the Saturnia and in Florence at Hotel Pierre (based on reviews I've read). Any comments on those as well??

Thank you So much!!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 01:36 PM

I got these rates when I looked on the Senato website:

Single
(€ 95-245)
Double single use
(€ 125-290)
Double
(€ 140-365)
Twin
(€ 140-365)
Triple
(€ 165-410)
Quadruple
(€ 175-440)
Junior Suite
(€ 195-475)
Senior Suite
(€ 275-685)
Mini apartment
(€ 195-555)

I don't know what rooms they have left for the end of March, but I feel confident in telling you that whatever you pay, the value and quality will live up to the price.

I'm sorry I don't know the Hotel Ponte del Sisto.

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 01:52 PM

I just looked at the website for Hotel Ponte di Sisto and checked out the reviews on Tripadvisor. Looks great. As much as a love the Senato, I find what I saw very tempting.

Old Mar 15th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

I just looked up the Hotel Ponte Sisto, which looks lovely, but I can only find it available on expedia for 750 euros plus tax (del senato is 993.60 from venere.com) actually now that i think of it, does venere.com exclude tax as well? On reservationsitaly, ponte sisto is sold out and not available on venere.com. With that in mind, the price wouldn't be THAT much cheaper than the del Senato (i'm not sure how much tax is on expedia)?

thanks for input!
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 04:35 AM

I paid 389 Euro for a quad with no view at the Del Senato last June. It was a very nice room, but no view.

Do not get the 2 story 4 person suite on the first floor. My sister and her family stayed there; the decor did not match the rest of the hotel - no charm, and she paid a lot more for a kitchen she never used.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 12:17 AM

Hi

As another choice the 4* Boscolo Hotel Palace - http://www.boscolohotels.com/hotel.cfm?SectionId=606#.

Ciao
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 02:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
A couple of years ago we stayed at the Santa Chiara directly behind the Pantheon.

I just checked the relative rates to Del Senata. It's about 25E less per night. This may or may not be tempting.

We were extremely pleased with the hotel and it's location when we stayed there.