Rome hotel LOCATION - Two Choices

Aug 20th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Rome hotel LOCATION - Two Choices

OK, I am anal, I admit it. I am down to two choices for my Rome hotel for four nights in September. Both hotels are great, according to my research. I am making the final decision on the AREA the hotel is in my final, deciding factor.

#1 - Two blocks east of the Trevi Fountain, adjacent to the Quirnale.

#2 - Two blocks north of the Colisseum.

Given this choice, which would you pick and why? Thanks again, all of your help has been of tremendous value!
Aug 20th, 2004, 05:05 PM

I personally don't like the area north of the Colusseum (around Via Cavour), I don't find it particularly interesting. If I had to choose between the 2 locations I would opt for the area around Trevi Fountain, because it is nearer some beautiful places like Navona, and Spagna. Plus this area is better connected in case you want to use the buses to go around the city.
Aug 20th, 2004, 06:27 PM
DAJ

OK, let's get into the analytics. My choice would be significantly influenced by the location of thelist of my "must sees"; this would be "plotted" (in order of priority)on a map, with these hotel locations.

In addition, I would also plot some restaurant recommendations and shops (I don't only plan historical/museum sites). Based on where the cluster is congregated the most, that is how I would pick my hotel. If it's relatively even, then I would base it on 1) safety of the area and 2) items that would be of interest to me (for example antique shops).

Hope this helps and not confuses.
Aug 20th, 2004, 09:41 PM

Well, I'm about as "anal" as they come when it comes to picking hotels and my honest advice about Rome, having been there many times, is: it is NOT a city in which you want to be anal...spontaneity ONCE you get there, will enhance your visit a great deal.

Unlike others, I do not necessarily pick a hotel based on some self-defined "must do" or "must see" list...those places can be reached eventually but once reached then you have to go BACK to the hotel and spend at least 1/3rd of your 24-hour day there. I pick a hotel based on all the things the hotel offers, including location. But since you feel your hotels are equal and the area is the issue for you..I'd personally go for the Trevi area.
Aug 21st, 2004, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

So, the vote so far seems to be at least 2-1 in favor of the area east of Trevi.

Anyone else have any insight?

Thanks to all.
Aug 21st, 2004, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Actually, the hotels are not exactly *equal*. They both seem nice and come recomended, but the Trevi area facility seems to be quite a bit "nicer" in terms of details, and has a small outdoor rooftop terrace for all the guests to use. However, it is also about 40,00e a night more. See, it wasn't so easy afterall!
Aug 21st, 2004, 01:34 PM

I don't know what to say about the other factors you are weighing, but just as to location I can say that we stayed in the Trevi area in February and really enjoyed it. Great bus connections all over the city too.
Aug 21st, 2004, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Nikki: Thanks for the reply. Is the Trevi area (we are a few blocks east of the fountain) quite active and busy?

Aug 21st, 2004, 02:51 PM

I cannot recall access to public transportation by Trevi, but I do know that via Cavour is right on the Metro line--making it easy access to Termini, the Colisseum, Spanish steps and the Vatican. If you're not in rome on an extended stay and want to see as much as possible, access to transportion would be very important, IMO.

I agree that Cavour does not have a lot of charm (we stayed at hotel Duca D'alba last fall), but it tends to less expensive than other areas and Metro access is a great feature.
Aug 21st, 2004, 08:42 PM

We stayed about a block and a half East of the Trevi Fountain on via in Arcione. There were lots of people in the street most of the day, although not so much automobile traffic because the street was very narrow.

There are many gelato places nearby, and quite a few shops and restaurants.
Aug 21st, 2004, 09:32 PM

i would reccommend the area near the trevi as well. and, i would second the fact that there are many great gelato places there, too! you should definitely try to make it to "il gelato di san crispino" (address: via panetteria,42, roma). it is near the trevi fountain, and has absolutely amazing gelato! so many wonderful flavors (may i suggest: the sardinian wild honey, marsala, lampone, and susine. yes - i keep good notes on my trips!). anyway, my boyfriend + i were in rome last september. we got gelato here + sat on the stairs near the trevi fountain at night. it was great.

and, if you ever make it to florence, try "vivoli gelateria" in santa croce (via isola delle stinche 7r). try the riso (rice) flavor.

have fun in rome! the ruins there are unbelieveable.

we hade our best meal in the trastevere neigborhood there. i believe that the name of the place was "trattoria dei remo". it is on a small quiet street there. great pasta!
Aug 22nd, 2004, 01:08 AM

Mike, is that you?
Aug 30th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

The final choice has been made for our five night stay in Rome:

CASA DI SANTA BRIGIDA
PIAZZA FARNESE 96

I understand that the location is superior and the convent is more expensive than others, primarily as a result of the location and the increase in popularity it has received in the past few years.

We intend to spend most of our first day kicking back, adjusting, and walking around a bit.

Day two is going to take us on some sightseeing walks with Scala Reale, and perhaps a tour of the Colisseum & Forum.

Day three has us with tickets to the papal audience in the morning and then a private afternoon Vatican tour with a guide recomended to us by this website and others.

On day four we have morning reservations for the Borghese Gallery. The afternoon and evening look like a good time to see some of the normal sights, piazzas, and fountains.

The last day we are going to play by ear. Perhaps a daytrip to Ostia Antica. On the otherhand, we might just revisit what looked interesting, or kick back and enjoy some more wine on the roof terrace at the Casa Brigida.

Day 6 takes us on the Eurostar to Venice for the next four nights. I am still finalizing those plans!

Thanks to Eloise especially for all her tips.

Other comments on our itinerary would be appreciated.

Search this Thread