Search

Rome Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2009, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome Hotel

My husband and I are planning a very last minute getaway to Rome. This will be our first visit. We are looking for a 3 or 4 star hotel, about 400 euro a night (they are some great deals out there now) and centrally located.

We are looking at Splendide Royal and the St. Regis Grand. Has anyone stayed at these properties? One is small and boutique, the other large. Any other recommendations?

Thanks!!
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 06:42 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Neither are in an ideal location (not within walking distance of most things you want to see), but I would pick the Splendide Royal over St. Regis just based on location. There are plenty of other nice hotels in your price range in better areas.
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 06:55 AM

Agree with kybourbon. Although Rome is very walkable and I personally have not had bad cab experiences, my husband and I have always advised others to check out all deals in Pantheon/Piazza Navona areas first. When they return, they say, "Now I understand."
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 03:41 PM

Both hotels are the best five star in the historic city center. I don't think they are not within walking distance to major atractions. You can check the location and the walking distance on that site: www.bestlocationhotels.com
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 04:48 PM

The St Regis is a nice hotel but it is relatively near the Termini train station which is very unattractive. I am afraid you will really not like Rome if you stay there and you will indeed find yourself taking taxis everywhere. The Centro Historico including the areas near the Pantheon and Piazza Navona and Trastavere are both much more attractive neighborhoods in the heart of ancient Rome with pedestrianized streets full of cafes and boutiques wonderful for wandering around the City. This is where I tell everyone to stay. Splendid Royale is near the Borghese gardens which is a nice upscale area but it is a bit away from the rest of the Central Rome area. It would require very, very long walks to get from your hotel to most of the sites and you are likely to have to take taxis. There are lots of nice hotels in central Rome at your price range. If you like modern, consider Hotel Fourty Seven (http://www.fortysevenhotel.com)or Hotel Hassler by the Spanish Steps if you like classic. Good Luck.
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 07:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In addition to Paolo's recs, how about staying in a deluxe room or suite in a more modest hotel? I haven't stayed there, but the location of the Saint George is to me ideal. Via Giulia is one of the loveliest streets in Rome and very central.

www.stgeorgehotel.it

The Grand Hotel Minerve is also in an excellent location.

http://www.grandhoteldelaminerve.com

I've stayed in a junior suite with Pantheon view nearby at Albergo del Senato, but it's not in the same class as the hotels you're considering.

Have a great trip. Rome is a joy.
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 07:53 PM

I loved the train station area. Real Romans, the good the bad and the ugly. But it's a handy area for travel, food and more food.

We stayed at the Empire Palace Hotel. I highly recommend it. Great staff, small boutique former residence and the breakfast included with the room is outstanding.

Check em out....www.empirepalace.com
Old Mar 1st, 2009, 08:37 PM

400 Euros is a great deal right now for 3-4 star...you got to be kidding?3-4 star hotels at this time of the year should be no more than 150-175 euros tops. The Excelsior on Via Veneto or the Hassler on the top of the Spanish Steps would be more in the 400-600 euro range?

Romantic but expensive hotel in great location-Hotel Raphael next to Piazza Navona. Even if you do not stay there, have a drink on the rooftop for a beautiful view.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am now understanding that location is going to be key here, as I do not want to hassle with cabs.

I am now looking at Albergo del Senato and Hotel Gladiatori.
Has anyone stayed at the Gladiatori? Any other suggestions.

I really appreciate your input.

Thanks!
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 09:39 PM

We will be staying at the Albergo del Senato from 3/5-3/8 for 135 euros a night, seems like a great deal.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 10:24 PM

knicksmets, that sounds like an unprecedented deal for Albergo del Senato. How did you get it?
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 12:36 AM

I just want to point out that it isn't walk or cab only. There is an excellent tram network and a metro as well - and buses (although I didn't use those myself).
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 03:24 AM

That price for the Senato is shockingly low! Tell us, please, where you found that price!!

The Gladiatori gets good reviews but the location is not as prime as that of the Senato.

Leely gave you two excellent choices above. Here is one more, around the corner from the Senato and near the Minerve; I have not stayed here but friends have loved it:

http://www.albergosantachiara.com/
Old Mar 5th, 2009, 10:46 AM

Friends have stayed at Senato and loved it and also the Minerve. Minerve is more expensive but also grander. Agree that Gladiatori is not as great a neighborhood. I have not stayed at but have heard good things about Palazzo del Duca near Navona. Good luck.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 06:54 AM

Ekscrunchy,
Okay I found another post about hotels in Rome and you have posted something about the Albergo del Senato. I made reservations back in October and they quoted me 295 Euro for our stay in July. But the rates seem to have gone down considerably. I made the reservation directly with the hotel, because I read that was the best way to try to get a balcony with a view even if they dont guarntee a balcony. Anyway I am thinking if I should rebook under another name or just ask them for a current rate? I really do still want a room with a view and balcony, but should I try to get a better price?? I am in the middle of your trip report and it is so perfectly detailed I have gone back to it several times to write down all the restaurants and get a feeling of the best since we will only be there 3 nights. Thank you for your opinion.

When we went to Paris 2 years ago I really budgeted on the hotel and I was sadly disappointed and I dont want that to happen again. But I did save some money, but the memories are still very vivid.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 07:11 AM

timetraveler, you should ask them for a current rate, although it's probably the same as the one you already have. The rate quoted by knicksmet doesn't seem too realistic for July.

I just checked the Senato website for 2 nights in late April, when I'll be in Rome, and was quoted 485Eu for the two nights, double room, single use. And it didn't specify balcony or view.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 07:29 AM

Panecott,Thank you for responding to my post. I checked their website for different dates and yes in April the prices are still high, but for some reason in July there seems to be a price drop and for a double it is 195E per night. But of course it says nothing about view or balcony. I know I am obssessing (sp) but it erks me knowing that I booked so long ago and that prices can actually go down, who would have thought. In fact I need two rooms and the other quote they gave me is 260 and now it looks like 195 from their website. I hate to bicker with hotels about price, you never know if they hold it against you. Like when you send food back.....
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 07:29 AM

Yes, I'd look at the Raphael, my dream hotel in Rome. Love that rooftop terrace. The Raphael has some good rates now. kch, did you say when you are going? I just looked at random in June, and the suites were still within your budget. The web site is www.raphaelhotel.com.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 01:54 PM

timetraveler, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you, and I doubt the hotel would consider it bickering. I'm sure you won't be the first person to request a better rate, especially when there's such a big difference in price.

Give it a shot, and if you don't get any satisfaction, then go to plan B, and cancel, then re-book in the name of someone else in your party.
As for the balcony, you said they don't guarantee that anyway, so you'd probably be taking a chance on getting it at the higher price. Good luck.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 08:03 AM

Hi Timetraveler
We will be at the Albergo del Senato for 5 nights in late August (I know-- a tough week to go). When I started investigating months ago, I was offered their "mini apartment" for 220 euros per night which I grabbed. By their own description there is not much of a view (or light) but we are traveling with our two teenagers and its sort of a split level room from what Ive gathered. But the other rooms were pretty similarly priced. I dealt directly with them by email.
Not sure if anyone else is familiar with this room but would love to hear about it if you have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -